Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here goes my first attempt at contributing to the DIY side of things. this should cover (if all goes well) how to do a full front disc brake job for like an '01 to '05 civic...mine is an ex em2, I dont know if that makes a difference tho...

tools you will need are:

jack and jack stands
a hefty flathead screwdriver
ratchet with 12mm and 17mm sockets
a impact driver and hammer helps A LOT!!! and looks like this (fig 1)
brake cleaner
brake parts lubricant or brake grease
and of course new brake components

first you must obviously loosen your lugs, jack your car up and remove the front wheels, if you like you can then spray everything down with brake cleaner to try and make this a semi-clean job. (fig 2)

at the rear of the caliper there is a hole (fig 3) using your screwdriver you can easily compress the caliper piston by using leverage against the rotor and working the caliper outward from the vehicle (fig 4) by doing this you are releasing the brake shoe's grip on the rotor and this will allow it to come off easily. (fig 5)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DIY brake shoes and rotors d17 em2 : part 2

using your ratchet and 12mm socket locate and remove the two bolts that hold the caliper's piston assembly to the shoe assembly, if the small plungers try to turn with the bolts you can hold them with your fingers or a pair of pliers. (fig 1 & 2)

once the bolts are removed the piston assembly will come right off (fig 3) be CAREFUL not to tweak the break line and use something to help stash this part out of the way where it will not fall, i used a spare jack stand. DO NOT LET IT HANG BY THE BRAKE LINE!!! (fig 4)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DIY brake shoes and rotors d17 em2 : part 3

with your 17mm socket remove the two bolts that hold the shoe assembly on (fig 1 & 2) and this will now come off easily up and out (fig 3), you can now replace your brake pads. the pads slide right out of their tracks (fig 4)

pull the 2 plungers out (fig 5) and clean them and their rubber boots, re-grease with brake lube/grease and replace...hold the boot, push and twist to pop the boot back in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DIY brake shoes and rotors d17 em2 : part 4

apply a SMALL amount of lube/grease to the shoe tracks and the backs of the shoes BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET ANY ON THE BRAKING SURFACE!! (fig 1) reinstall pad assembly and replace all caliper parts in reverse order to complete break pad job, or continue to next phase to remove rotors

to remove rotors use your impact driver to remove the two screws (fig 2) this can be very easy or it can be where you run into problems, like breaking tools etc... (fig 3) these screws get to be pretty much welded in from the heat produced by your breaking system

once these screws are removed the rotors will come straight off (fig 4) and you can now clean everything well with break cleaner

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DIY brake shoes and rotors d17 em2 : part 5

once everything is clean, given your new rotors are balanced and ready for installation, check for fit. (fig 1)

being mindful of new rotor orientation (fig 2) you can use the reverse of these instructions to reinstall your new brake parts

after your car is back on the ground pump your brakes a few times to reestablish pressure, top off any brake fluid needed, then make sure to follow your brake manufacturer's break in procedures

thanks for tuning in and good luck on your your projects, i hope this post is helpful, and being that this is my first attempt, any constructive criticism is welcomed...cheers! =)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts