Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic and CRV
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For less than $20 and a little of your time, you can have a bead roller that does the trick without having to pay someone to do it for you or buy the parts only to find that it doesn't fit just right. Purchase yourself a nice pair of wire terminal crimp pliers. I bought mine off eBay from some Asian country including shipping for around $14 CDN. When you're going to hack up brand new tools, Chinese is the way to go. :TU: Here's a pic of the auction where I purchased.

On this particular pair of pliers there are 3 sizes on the jaws, 1.5, 2.5 and 6. I assume this is metric. Remove the crimp jaws and grind down the 1.5 and 2.5 crimp, flat, leaving the #6 size. Closeup. I used a bench grinder and held each jaw with a pair of vise grips. It will get hot. You will grind the sharp edges from the upstanding side to a nice radius. A dremel or if you have access to an air prencil grinder, will do the trick here. Do the same for the concave half to the entrance and exit of the crimp area. Try to make it as smooth of a transition as possible entering and exiting the crimp area. Jaws1 Jaws2

Test on a scrap piece of pipe to find the correct bead distance from the end of the pipe. In this picture it is about 3/16" from the end when pushing the pipe as far as it will go into the jaws. Pipe

Continue crimping around the pipe by the width of the jaws until you've reached the starting point. Inspect the bead. If it's too sharp, round the jaws a little more. If it's not defined, you will need to squeeze a little harder.

Congratulations! You've saved yourself at bunch of money and still are able to drive your ride without fear of a hose blowing off under boost.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Another way to do it, is weld a muffler clamp to a set of vice grips. Same idea, smoother bead.
I posted a how to on that before, but this seems like an easier solution. With the muffler clamp the washer wants to flop around. Even with a flat filed on the inside of the washer it can be a bitch. It's tough on my old arthritic hands.

I do agree that the muffler clamp method does look like it gives a smoother bead, but how much does that matter when it's covered with a coupler?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
my fab guy charges me $1.50 per bead roll on his bead roller...but for people without that type of thing nearby...I guess a good deal for sure

either way it probably works better than the ole hairspray trick ;)

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
Good stuff :TU: I made the setup danz mentioned, old u-clamp and big washer welded to an old pair of vice grips. But this looks pretty damn clean, and no welder needed

·
Registered
Honda Civic and CRV
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Works pretty good. Been pushing 26psi through this system and have not blown a hose connection yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts