Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok, first: Excellent how-to guide. I'd like to ask a question and make a couple comments about it also.

First: Instead of pulling the tranny first then the torque converter. First, drain the tranny while your draining all the other fluids. Second, unbolt your torque converter bolts before you remove the transmission. Its much easier to unbolt the TC before you remove the tranny. If you go about it this way, once you unbolt your tranny, you can just pull it away from the motor and the TC should come out with it all. Don't have to worry about dropping the TC, or lowering the engine to remove the tranny, raise the engine back up to loosen the TC....granted your probably gonna raise it again to replace the Intake and install the flywheel and clutch, but its alot easier this way.

Second: Is it possible to just replace that one sensor on the IM rather than swapping the whole thing? Just kinda seems a lot easier to just swap that rather than removing the whole IM, buying a new gasket and putting it back together.

Also: Do you need a pilot bearing or anything on these? I know when I did the swap on my 240sx, there was an automatic bearing I had to remove and had to install a Pilot bearing.

Last: The pedals aren't that hard to do, I would see them to be the easiest to do, granted I haven't had to pull the brake/gas pedal from one of these yet, but have out of several other vehicles. The easiest way to remove the pin thats on the pedals is a U-shaped Pick. Picks are one of my favorite tools, use them all the time. Just hook in the loop and pull, push the rest out with your finger, might have to wiggle the pedal, but rather easy. As for the pedals themselve, good size extention and a swivel will get them usually. The hardest part about the pedals is finding a way to get somewhat comfortable to do them. Really depends on how high/low the vehicle is, if its really low, just lay upside down on the seat and go to town....ofcourse gotta come up every once in awhile to get the blood out of the head, but better than folding in half sitting outside the car.

The pedals that are really fun, and be thankful we don't have to put up with them, are when the manufacturer doesn't cut the hole in the firewall for the clutch pedal, instead they just leave you a template to show where to cut/drill the hole...and leave you no room to do it. I had to go through that with my 95 240sx...pain in the ass.

Oh yea...for the wiring of a couple of the switches you couldn't figure out: http://www.brokenlimits.com/howto/howtoautomanual/howtoautomanual.htm
They include the Nuetral Safety switch for the clutch pedal, and cruise control.

·
Registered
698 Posts
WOW, what a great write up man! I will be doing this swap on my car very soon and this is some great info, thanks a lot bro!!!
D-Series is a wealth of knowledge!!!!!!!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
how is it possible to do this for only 600 dollars?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok, I managed to get the swap done. Took some time on the mounts, as I did it on a 93, rather than the 96-00. For some reason the mounts didn't want to line up, still don't seem like they are lined up correct, but they are in there and it works. Currently I have no starter because I forgot about that part and had to have my car push started all night for the races, no biggy.(I did the swap on my 93 thats built for a circle dirt track).

I answered my own question on the pilot bearing: on Hondas, the Pilot bearing is built into the flywheel, rather than being in the motor.

I also ran into a problem with my linkage. How the mounts are right now, seems like the tranny is shifted a little bit back, even so, my linkage is really far forward. My car is a 2 door and I jacked the linkage from a 4 door, anyone other than me think that could be whats wrong. How the linkage is sat in there right now, the bolts holding it up are on the edge of the sheetmetal before the hole for the shifter, I had to cut some metal between the shifter hole and the automatic linkage hole so the shifter will sit up flat and not hit it. It seems like its stretched out, and can barely get it into the forward gears, I'm stretched all the way out to get it in the forward gears.

Just another tip for anyone doing this swap on a 92-95. As for the auto-linkage that they had to cut out on the 96-00, its just bolted it. Just remove the for bolts/nuts for the shifter, and then there are 2 more that hold the linkage plate in. Should fall right out, no cutting involved. Anything else, I was kinda in a hurry and was as prepared as I thought I was, so there was some rigging involved...its a race car, i can do that, lol.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
hey odd, how much did it cost for you to do everything?

·
Registered
326 Posts
lol, im the wrong person to ask. I work at a salvage yard, and only had to buy a slave cylinder, oil, and a funnel. I had the tranny laying around from when I bought a z6 for my 91 civic, so I just used it along with the flywheel and clutch(didn't have money to buy a new one at the time, highly suggest going ahead and getting a new one). I paid $600 for the engine, tranny, wire harness, and ECU. Didn't pay anything for the mounts, pedals, and linkage. I think work priced the linkage at around $30-40. Don't know about the pedals and mounts though. A new clutch kit is around $110-120.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
TheOdditie, ah lucky you! thanks for the reply anyhow.

I was hoping I could do this for only 600 :(

·
Registered
326 Posts
You could probably do the swap for $600, just depends how much you pick up the tranny for. I would wait till you get some more money though, never hurts to have a little cushion just incase something happens.

The only problem I really had on my swap was the mounts, but thats still better than doing the swap on my 95 240sx that I had to slowly cut the hole out in the firewall since they don't come with one. And install the pilot bearing, which I managed to mushroom just enough to cause the tranny not to go in. I would do this swap on a civic any day over the nissan again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i didn't even touch my Intake manifold at all, haven't thrown a code for it yet either, well not with the 5spd ECU. Had the auto ECU in there for a bit but started getting BS codes that didn't make a damn bit of sense, so I swapped it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
TheOdditie, which engine do you have? the d16y8?

I think for the d16y8's you ahve to change the whole intake manifold because of the IACV wires or something along those lines... im still not completely sure, but i think so.

can anybody verify this?

·
Registered
183 Posts
would it be better to just swap the entire harness from the donor 5speed vehicle??

I've got a 94 sedan 5speed and was thinking if I do the conversion I may just want to replace all my automatic harnesses with the manual one straight up...well that and the sedan is pre-wired for all the power goodies as well :p

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a z6, so yea it was a little different, and that could explain why I didn't have to change the IACV, which even if I had the y8, i would have just swapped the IACV rather than the whole IM.

For changing the complete harness, there really isn't a reason to swap the whole engine harness, but if thats what you want to do you can. If your talking about the whole wire harness, good luck, by the time you are done you won't want to touch wires again. I have to deal with that stuff at work everysooften, and can't stand it anymore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, change the whole harness it's alot of work and for me it's kinda pointless, you can use your own and adpt, wiil be much easyer to remake 4 wires than change the harness but if you want you can change it......

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
hey wts up guys, i was attemping to do the tranny swap. Everything was going well until it was time to bolt the tranny together again... the rear of the tranny wont close, there is a gap of about 1/2 inch. do you think the problem is the rear mount? the mount was changed before because it was broken, but when i went to order it they didnt ask me if it was for an auto, or a manual so i figured it might fit. is there some other reason why this is happening? i have checked everything, and there is nothing that it doesnt clear?

any comments or ideas are welcomed

I really aprecciate any help. Thankyou...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts