Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after getting some inspiration from crxlifer21 and his homemade fan shroud i decided to build my own and do a DIY while i was at it. So lets get Crack-a-lackin!

Parts List:
15"x15" 1/8" Aluminum Sheet
5' of 1/16"x1/2"x3/4" Aluminum Angle
1/8"x1/4" Aluminum Rivets
5' 3/8" Closed Cell Foam Weather Strip

Tools Needed:
Measure Tape
Straight Edge
Permanent Marker
Dremel w/ cutoff wheels and sanding wheels
Sawsall if you have one
Drill
1/8"drillbit
Rivet Gun
Vicegrips
Saftey Glasses
Time (about 4hours)

Step one: Grab your Measuring tape and measure the inside diameter of your radiator where the fins are. mine is a half radiator and measured right at 13.5"W x 14"H my lower water outlet is slanted up at a slight angle so i gave it 1/2" to clear the radiator hose so my measurement will be 13.5" x 13.5"

Step two: Take your Sheet of Aluminum, Mark and Cut it to the size of what you just measured so 13.5x13.5

Step three: Place your slimfan on the sheet of Aluminum and trace its general shape.

Step four: Cut out the hole you just traced, keeping about 1/4" inside of where your actual line you traced is. i used my dremel to make a slit and then used my sawsall to finish cutting it out.

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step five: Take your sanding wheel and lightly sand off all the burrs around the hole and outer edge of the aluminum sheet.

Step six: Now we already know the outer dimensions of the Aluminum sheet, take out your Aluminum Angle, Measure and Cut 4 pieces. one for each side of the Aluminum Sheet. mark 2 of the pieces as sides and the other 2 pieces will be top and bottom.

Step Seven: The top and bottom pieces need to be notched out on both ends of each piece. this way the corners will come all the way together and there wont be overlapping on the top surface. Notice there is a shorter and longer side to the Aluminum. on the shorter side at each end cut off 1/2" so it looks like a square is missing.

Step eight: Start with the side pieces and one at a time, drill the Shorter side of the Aluminum angle and rivet them to the Aluminum sheet. easiest way i found to do this so it all lines up is to line up the aluminum angle on the aluminum sheet and drill 1 hole and then rivet it on. that way it doesnt shift on you while you drill the other holes. also i stuck a 2x4 under it so the angle could hang freely off the edge and i would have a flat surface to drill into.

Step nine: Before you drill and rivet the top and bottom piece make sure the part that you notched fits in between the two side pieces and that its not overlapping at all. then repeat step eight until it looks like this!!

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Step ten: Place the fan down on the New Shroud!! and mark the mounting holes. depending on how you mount it to the shroud will determine how big of holes to drill. i used the mounting kit so my holes were pretty small.

Step eleven: Mount the fan!

Step twelve: i havent done this yet because i havent installed it but take your foam tape stick the sticky side to the edge of the fan shroud that will come in contact with the radiator. set the shroud onto the radiator and marvel at your work!! your almost there!!

while still marveling, take your marker and make a mark directly under each mounting hole there should be 4.

take some of your left over scrap and cut 4 strips about 3"-4"L x 1/2" W take a pair of vice grips and bend 3/8" into a 90degree angle so it like an "L" do this for all 4 pieces. now rivet each piece to the shroud above where you marked the 4 mounting holes. cut off any extra of the tab that sticks above or below the mounting holes. mark and drill out the holes to mount it. and your done!!!! Bolt it on wire it up and your good to go!! you have a DIY Fan Shroud!!!

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Damn! Nice! I was kinda skeptical when I saw the first few pics. But riveted angle iron onto the sides, now its win!

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
looks nice.

and functional.

:TU:

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
nothing wrong with that... :TU:

i would like to see some sort of foam between the angle iron and radiator tho, vibration could poke a hole plus you wont have any air lose from the sides and such...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi, i didnt understood why did you use foam tape stick , any better pics where did you use foam tape stick?

it looks even greater than aftermarket ones! :yes:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hi, i didnt understood why did you use foam tape stick , any better pics where did you use foam tape stick?

it looks even greater than aftermarket ones! :yes:
So the medal doesnt beat your radiator fins to shit. Great DIY Bro, kinda like mine but yours is beefier LOL:bigok:Rep fo jew

EDIT : You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xxjdmcivicek9xx again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
looks good, this will come in handy one day

·
Registered
92 vx hatch
95 Posts
I am going to be making a set of those for my turboAC setup. thanks for doing all the hard work for me man! REP'd&subscribed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts