Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a busted tail light and a friend happend to have some god awful clears with the difusers in them...I needed replacements so I bought them....after a week of having them on I couldnt deal with how ugly they were....
So I took some of my scale modeling experience and fixed the funk..

.....What you will need.....

1: Testors translucent candy apple red and Testors clear.(1 or 2 cans each should do the job depending on how big your tails are)
(found at walmart in the model car section or at a local hoby shop like hobby loby)

2: scotch brite.

3: Dawn dish soap (cuts through oil better)

.....Process.....

Step1:
Assuming you've already removed your tails.
Scuff your lights with the scotch brite well.You'll want them to no longer be clear.More like foggy.

Step 2:
Clean the tails with the soap throughly and let them dry.

Step 3:
Apply Light coats of the translucent red over the tails.
Let the lights sit for about 3 minutes between each coat so that it tacks up good and reduces the risk of runs or saggs.
I used 1 whole can on each side.

Step:4
Spray the clear in the same fassion,Light coats and wait between coats.
I used 1 whole can of clear on each light also.
Let dry for 24 hours. I let mine sit for 2 days just incase

Mine have been on my car for over a year and they havent started to fade or chip yet.

I'm carefull when I wash the car at the car wash not to keep the spray on the lights too long if at all...Just to make sure

Here is the only pic I have of them right now but people always ask me where I bought them.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Looks good dude.....................good post...............you should get a digital camera and take pics.....................

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I did the same thing to my tails on my black ej1 awhile back...I used stained glass paint!

The all red looks so hott on black civics...nice job!!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
we use to make 99-2000 tails wiht testors paint and the all clear ones... mask off the bottom and paint away till they get all glld looking spray on some clear coat. finshed look nice and clean and oh yeah they look way better than my 97 tails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts