Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
welp after like $8 in parts i attempted this

http://scirocco.dyndns.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html

i went to hook it up and the bastard sparked at me twice then didnt after...i think ifriend it haha oh well imma attempt again tomorrow. if anyone has done this any help would be appreciated. the voltage regular...out of the 3 prongs which is in out and grnd? does it matter? thanks guys.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol i know i just wanted to test it out...i just purchased a couple ecus and such and gonna order some chip burners...gonna try and get into some tuning and chipping ecus so i thought for electrical style i thought id test and see if ican make that.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
thats real ghetto but i guess if your that broke..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I like the satisfaction of building things myself. If it's more economical that way, then even better. Granted, if I wanted to make one as nice as an autometer, etc., I would probably have to spend hundreds of dollars to make just one But, in DIY, there's good room for customization with functionality.

-ic

·
Want access???
98 Hx Coupe
12,304 Posts
mynameistin said:
lol i know i just wanted to test it out...i just purchased a couple ecus and such and gonna order some chip burners...gonna try and get into some tuning and chipping ecus so i thought for electrical style i thought id test and see if ican make that.
well guess all i can say is good luck keep us posted on how you make out

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
that's a nice DIY... but there are better ways to make your own digital gauge. I've been playing around with a lot of ICs and I could probably make a writeup for a digital gauge if anyone is interested... 0-5V... whatever....

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
my avatar is from an anime called "Ebichu: The Housekeeping Hamster"

it's kind of perverted... Ebichu's owner is a late 20s office worker who's not married (kind of pathetic according to japanese culture) and has an asshole boyfriend. Ebichu makes a lot of inappropriate comments about sex and stuff because it's really dumb. In that particular scene, Ebichu is reading a dirty romance novel while the owner and the boyfriend are having sex. "Like a sniper, <name> ever so carefully centered the target within his scope... and took the shot." Since the asshole boyfriend has a problem of cumming too early, that sets it off and he punches Ebichu. (a common occurance on the show). It's actually a really funny show.

As for the 0-5V digital display... hmmm... the easy way to do it is NOT cost-effective. However, if you have access to a Willem burner, you can burn a tiny program onto a PIC (type of cheap processor) and have that drive the display. There just aren't any good single-solution IC's out there other than programming your own. I think I could make them for about $20 in parts. If you guys would like, I could build some for say... $30... as long as there's a demand.

Keep in mind these could be used for ANY 0-5V voltage reading... like TPS sensor, MAP sensor, etc. Also, I'm pretty sure that I could change the ADC chip (analog-to-digital) with one that does temperature sensing, so you could put probes whereever you want and have them display in your car somewhere.

Just in case anyone's interested... the reason it's more difficult is that you have to convert the voltage number from whatever form you have it in... analog, ASCII, etc... to a code specifically for those LED displays. Annoying as hell. There are no premade chips that can do it without spending a ton of money.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
hmmm... i will look into it :TU:

multiple color numbers are available ;)

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
I've done one, tested on volt generator, it seems to work great :)
But I burnt the small 5.0V regulator, I put LM7805, VERY better and bigger ( and cheaper... ;) ) than the old one.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
I tested it in test table, I got meter vs voltage, but in car, I can't have any data on it. I put it on white (primary o2 sensor signal, and no led turn on). I connect it with 12v cigar plug, and it powered decently like that ?

maybe I'm wrong, but something is bad. really bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts