Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really got tired of looking at the amber in my tail lights, so I decided to paint them!

I used Krylon Stained Glass paint, from a crafts store. It's about $10 a can, and it's half the size of a regular can of paint. I used it before on one of my tail lights because it was fading, and I got tired of getting pulled over for a pinkish white tail light.

I decided to leave the reverse light original, though.

One tip about this paint, SPRAY LIGHT COATS! It will start to bubble up if you spray it too thick, and will look like crap. Also, the more coats you put on, the darker it's going to dry, almost like red Night Shades paint. You will then have to wait for it to dry, wet sand it, and re-do it. The paint only takes about 5-10 minutes to dry, depending on how thick of a coat you put on. I'm going to wet sand them with 1500, then 2000 grit paper, seal them with a nice clear coat, wet sand again with a super fine paper, and buff them with Meguiar's Plast X.

Total time spent: About an hour.
Total cost: About $11

Without further a due, PICS!!!!

Before, stock red and amber lights

^^ What my new tag will be when it's time to re-register. :tt2:

The paint used

One side taped up and ready to go

Left side complete

Both sides complete, realized I had to do one more coat on both inside lights, to match the shade.

All done and on the car. It looks like they aren't totally the same shade, but it's the way the light hits it.

Let me know what you think. Positive and negitive critisisim is wanted.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
you held the can too far away/moved to fast/didn't cover evenly. look at how pitted and dull the finish is. it should have come out like glass again when you were done. i don't know that paint but if it allows, you need to wetsand it and respray another coat and or a clearcoat

-Luke

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy, they look a lot better than the amber, and I'm stuck on the '99-'00 and Si tails, too. I just can't find a decently priced set, or any OEM Honda ones. Not going to settle for any cheap knock offs that'll leak and probably not fit.

Luke, All shots except when they weren't on the car, was when it was just sprayed. When I first used it, I freaked out about it too, but when it dried it came out smooth and shiny. I do have to wet sand them though, a couple spots are just a little bubbled.

·
El Noob
98 Civic EX/ 86 MR2
2,794 Posts
Not bad. Although I prefer the 99+. Those sure look better the what they did before.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Crazy, they look a lot better than the amber, and I'm stuck on the '99-'00 and Si tails, too. I just can't find a decently priced set, or any OEM Honda ones. Not going to settle for any cheap knock offs that'll leak and probably not fit.
ya oem 98-00 tails ftw!
Luke, All shots except when they weren't on the car, was when it was just sprayed. When I first used it, I freaked out about it too, but when it dried it came out smooth and shiny. I do have to wet sand them though, a couple spots are just a little bubbled.
careful if you wet sand that stuff it might peel off of the plastic......if you have a extra tail or something try it on that first or in a small aera...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
careful if you wet sand that stuff it might peel off of the plastic......if you have a extra tail or something try it on that first or in a small aera...
They hold up just fine when wet sanded. Already did that before, and it doesn't chip or peel off. I also sanded the lights before I painted them, so the paint would have a surface to adhere to.

·
I survived code 9
1998 Honda Civic DX
1,662 Posts
Yes, looks good! I used some red vinyl on my car and it looked awesome. I rocked them for about a year before I came across some $40 Si tails from a friend. They looked awesome!

·
Registered
'91 Crx Si
399 Posts
Ehhh, folks have been doing this for years.
It eventually will flake and wear off.

I'm stuck on the '99-'00 and Si tails, too. tle bubbled.
Those are the same, no such thing as "Si" specific tail lights.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
Not bad. Although I prefer the 99+. Those sure look better the what they did before.
I agree. Looks good but now your car kinda look like a Nissan Maxima a little. But I give you mad props for doing your own thang & being original.

·
Registered
98 civic ex coupe
938 Posts
Good cheap fix. A little too much red but def better than amber. Ive got a 98 ex coupe and always wanted the 99+ taillights.

·
Registered
615 Posts
that read is going to fade off and turn back orange in a few months. we did that on a friends accord it looked good for a while but it faded back to orange

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
100% better bro! i hate yellow in tails, great job, but i would agree on wetsanding/clear.

reo for you :biggrin:

Reactions: pslsnakes

·
Registered
809 Posts
not bad..but i actually like the stock tails with the amber...imma throw on some amber sidemarkers to accent em...def nice to see ideas people have, rep for creativity

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too bad I didn't even have the car long enough to enjoy my little DIY.

Here's what's left after I was rear ended and pushed into oncoming traffic, for those who have not seen my thread.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm alright. My neck, lower back, left hip, left knee, right ankle, and now my left side by my rib age are killing me. I haven't done anything since the crash that was on Friday. Just sat at home or slept.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts