Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing a thread about how an ebay Si-tyle grill would fit, and then the various things we all have done to modify our grills, I thought I'd just take my OEM 98 grill and save a few bones while converting it to an Si-style grill.

Outside of a $3 piece of Gutter Guard I purchased from Home Depot about 5 years ago, the cost was nothing but about an hour of my time. Though quite simple for anyone with even a 1/3rd of a brain to figure out, here's a quick write up with some pictures.

Tools needed:
Small Phillips screwdriver
(1) piece Gutter Guard
Dremel or RotoZip to remove the inner part of the grill (though you could use a saw blade if need be)
Razor blade to clean up your cut marks
Wire snips or wire cutters
Zipties/wire/somethign to hold the Gutter Guard while trimming

Here's how my 98 Hatch looked before the process started:

Now if you haven't removed your grill before, its a little PITA to do the first time. There are 4 screws that need removed from beneath/behind the upper part of the bumper. I removed the grill back in the fall, and never replaced the screws. They just create a headache if you want to remove it quickly in the future. If you have removed it before, just pop off the 5 plastic screws holding it on.

After removing the grill, flip it over and remove the (9) small screws from around the edge of the back. This will remove the painted trim of the grill. You will also need to cut off the tabs or punch out the emblem altogether; this just depends if you want to try and reuse the "H" emblem in the future. I cut it as I already have a handful of emblems.

Now's a good time to take the Gutter Guard and put it over the grill. I suggest using zip ties to hold the Gutter Guard in place while trimming. (Sorry for only getting one side... the other is the same process)

AFter trimming, you'll want to line up the holes and tabs as you will need to cut out some cross pieces of the Gutter Guard so it will mount on when you put the trim back on. I forgot to take a a picture, but its pretty self-explanatory what needs cut/trimmed to put the tabs back in.

Now you will need to cut out the center part of the grill. Remove the Gutter Guard and get ready to cut. I used a RotoZip and cut out the main portion first. I figured it be easier to trim the smaller pieces without fighting the big piece. Once it's out, trim down the the extra pieces with your RotoZip/Dremel. You may have some shavings left over, so trim them off with the razorblade. When done, it should look like this:

Time to put the Gutter Guard back on. Place it back over the tabs and bend the guard around the edges. This will also help hold it in place. Put the trim piece back over it, taking care not to bust nay of the tabs. To help out the re-mounting of the trim, screw in one of the top corner screws. Be sure not to over-tighten it as the plastic will crack. Now work your way around the tabs, sliding them back into their corresponding holes. As you put a tab back in place, screw in the nearby screw. Working opposite corners will help the subsequent screws/tabs go in. After all (9) screws are back in place, make sure all the screws are tightened.

When done, the grill should look like this:

And this is how it will look mounted... ignore the 12+ inches of snow in the background or the snow-caked bumper.... Cincinnati is getting plastered right now and the plow decided to bury the front of my driveway.

All in all, it looks 100 times better than the stock grill and it saved me about $25 plus paint for a grill from ebay. Hopefully that helps someone out and saves you a few bucks. Good luck

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
879 Posts
Good write up but I prefer stock over the mesh look, maybe because they never put the Honda logo on it.

·
I also have a cool title
3,124 Posts
I love the Mesh..thats what i got on my car but i bought a kit..i wish i woulda did this

+Rep

·
Premium Member
Ms. Daisy
1,044 Posts
aww I was totally gonna do that but thought it would look like shit.

Good thing I spent $40 on an aftermarket grill. *cough*sarcasm*cough* :( lol

Great write up though! rep for you.

·
Registered
99 4 dr
740 Posts
i wonder if the same thing can be done w/ a 99-00 grill...

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
^what he said

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts