Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks. I had to instal a new fuel pump recently cause the old one died on me. So, as well as installing a new Walbro 255, I took pics for this DIY. Enjoy.

Tools needed:
92-95 civic
Walbro 255 fuel pump
10mm socket
17mm socket
flathead screwdriver
philipshead screwdriver
flat nosed pliers
a pin or something small and pointy to help take off electrical connectors
an old rag
a garage or parking lot to work in
about 1/2 hour to an hour depending on experience

1. Start your car......if it will still start. lol

2. Remove the plug to your fuel pump relay. Its located right by your fuse box. Your engine will stop running soon after you unplug this. This acton will relieve the fuel preassuer in your sytem.

3. Take your key out ofthe car and be a goo boy or girl and remove your negative battery cable. You dont wanna accidenatly fry anything.

4. Plug your fuel pump relay back in and go remover your back seat. A 10mm socket is needed for this. This hole is where the bolt is. You can kinda lift up the backrest to your seats to see it.

Once youre done with that, remove your back seats. This is easier than it feels. Tilt your seat forward and up and then feel how to shimmy it out. Its easy.

5. If your car has been running for a while let it cool down. Heat and gas vapors are no fun. Trust me I work at a gas station. When that time has passed you are now ready to remove your locking plate cover....located here....

6. Remove the screws holing the bolt in place to reveal the locking plate.

7. First undo the elecrical connectors that areovered by the rubber covers. Then undo your fuel lines. One is removed with a 17mm socket and the other you will need your pliers. Make sure you have your rag to catch any spillage. The 17mm is kindof a biotch to get off. Im like 160 lbs so of course it was hard for me but not impossile. After that, unscrew the nuts around the edge of the locking plate. Keep the nut and things you remove.

8. Now youre ready to "slide out" you old crap fuel pump an instal the new one. Heres what the assembly looks like intact. Very simple unit. I though it woul be bigger. "Thats what she said!!"

9. Now you will need to remove the old pump from the bracket by unclaping the hoses leading to the pump and the elctrical connector. I didnt have pliers so I had to use the brute strength of my fingers to remove the clamps. Not fun and it hurts. Get pliers!!!! Now you can remove the old pump from the bracket. make sure you keep the rubber seat off the old pump and keep it as well as the hose if your new pump didnt come with one. Thank god Walbro gives you a new hose...but you will have to cut it to length. You will have to pry off the retaining clip to remove the rubber seat with a flathead screwdriver....or beast it off with your nails.
The retaining clip. (reference) its the lil silver thing holding the fuel filter on.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It should look like this when its done.

10. Now its time to put the new pump in. You want to cut your hose (if you are using thenew one) to length. After that you want to put your new fuel filter onto the pump but before you do that, take the rubber seat and fit thehole over the outlet to the fuel filter. Then you will connect the filter to the bottom of new fuel pump and install the retainng clip. You can push the cip down with your flathead screwdriver. Should look like this.

11.Now that your bracket assembly is together, you are ready to put it back in the car. Slide the assembly back into the tank where it was before. Reconnect all electrical plugs and replace the locking plate. Reconnect your fuel lines and then the metal cover and you are done.

12. Reconnect your negative battery cable and go agead and basque in all your glory.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the connector just plugged up? no special wiring or anything?
Yep. On the Walbro everything pluged right in. Easiest mod Ive done on my car in terms of not having to mock anything up or cutting the shit out of my hands. Just took me like 45 mis cause I've never done it before.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my pump was turning shit so, yeah. I felt a huge difference. She feels more alive. Like she wants to go fast. But the main reason for the pump is to supply higher horse power setups.....which is my plan. I think it makes a good factory replacement. But that's just MO. Some will say its overkill but when the day comes when you do a turbo build or an itb setup or whatever, you'll be glad you installed it earlier.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to know its been put to good use.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone.

Yeah, dropping a tank is no fun. I'm glad I'm in an EG chasis.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I hate people with eg's that haven't had to pull a pump from a 88-91. on eg's its so easy you don't even need a write up.

if your pump actually goes out though you might as well get a walbro, last time I check they're cheaper then stock replacement at auto parts stores.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, dropping a tank is no fun task, but why hate on my thread? :(:(:(

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know. I was actin a fool. Lol Sometimes I wish I had an EF chasis. I would do a write up and add /label the extra steps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for the info man had this problem with my 95 civic some days back and was able to solve it myself spending an entire weekend on it.only possible with the help of this and few other forums. overall still love my car though. my first car.got it when in college.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts