Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well if you own a 88-91 honda civic std then you know how hard it is to find a front lip to fit the factory bumper. Well i have figured out a solution that ANYBODY with AVG skillz can do and it makes the car look 100% X 10 better.

*the lip on my car is a C/F one from passwordjdm but this mod will work with any crx lip of this style*

first off you need your 90-91 crx si bumper lip.. link to H-T sponsor selling the lips
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1778971

1. The lip

2. Lip on Crx si bumper

3. Civic STD bumper (my car for refrence OLD PICS 89 civic)

Ok you will notice the biggest differences between the bumpers are quite easy to see, but mainly its the lack of fog light locations on the STD bumper, but other then this the bumpers are the same width, and general shape plus they both have the large center opening. Since the lip is flexible it will conform to the STD bumper with just a little massaging and 3m molding tape.

What your going to have to do is cut off the 2 side tabs (the ones on each side of the center tab) these are designed to fit into the factory foglight spots on the crx bumper but have no place to go on the STD bumper. I used a dremel with a side cutting bit to trim off the extra pieces and the used the sanding wheel to clean up the edges and make it smooth and even. After i cut the extra pieces off i test fit it and made sure that it would fit where i wanted to and to make sure no extra trimming was needed.

4.The tabs needing to be cut off are marked 1 and 2 on the following pic

5. Once trimmed off your lip will look like this

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok now time to mount it, my lip needed to be bolted on because 3m body tape just is not strong enuff to hold the c/f flush because its not as flexable as the poly lips. I held it up and pre drilled holes and then mounted it. Once mounted it may need to be trimmed on the sides because i noticed on mine that it was longer on the sides then my crx bumper was, so i broke out the dremel again and trimmed it up and made it flush with the wheel well.

6. mounted and secured

mounted with new fogs done same day in these pics you can see the screws and how i mounted it

no i don't know how exactly the poly lips are designed to mount but no matter what some 3m body molding tape and some black machine screws will get the job done and not be "busy" looking.

I hope this helps and if anybody needs more info ask away i will do my best to help out.

2 more pics for refrence

8. lip on my old CRX

9. lip on my swapped and tucked 89 civic std

thanks for looking
chris

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
2017 FK8 Type-R / 1993 DX hatch / 2001 LX coupe
810 Posts
That looks pretty damn good. :TU: For making the USDM 4G hatch sexier.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I like it, nice write up

·
Registered
91 civic dx sedan
351 Posts
^^^^ cunnulingus rotfl

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the one on H-T is polyurathane and 100.00 shipped i belive and i agree with bootleg , or my favorite is PIITB

chris

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
very nice i must say. :TU:

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
looking good...

how do you feel about using black rivets instead..? just curious if you thought of it and if so why you chose screws instead...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep password does offer a bolt on one with no mods needed .. But i wrote this for the people wanting the poly style lip instead . Plus i put this up on H-T and password is a sponsor but they dont advertise this lip on the site and i posted this under another sponsors ad trying to help promote his sales. Just doing my parts to support the dealers and help out my fellow honda owners.

chris

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looking good...

how do you feel about using black rivets instead..? just curious if you thought of it and if so why you chose screws instead...
i used screws for now cause its what i have at the shop readily, also rivets are a little more permanet (sp) and i wanted to be able to remove the lip when i need to work on the car or when i put the SI bumpers on it this summer

chris

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
i used screws for now cause its what i have at the shop readily, also rivets are a little more permanet (sp) and i wanted to be able to remove the lip when i need to work on the car or when i put the SI bumpers on it this summer

chris
very cool man... im glad you never took my post the wrong way :TU:

that makes alot of sense, i prolly would have used rivets for the looks and would have been stuck if i ever had to remove it later... rivets can damage things unintentionaly when drilled out...

im glad i asked cause when i get a lip ill use screws now... thank you, Brian

Reactions: N2HIFI

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
very cool man... im glad you never took my post the wrong way :TU:

that makes alot of sense, i prolly would have used rivets for the looks and would have been stuck if i ever had to remove it later... rivets can damage things unintentionaly when drilled out...

im glad i asked cause when i get a lip ill use screws now... thank you, Brian
no problem and Pos rep for you for the good question and the props

chris

Reactions: 4Door
1 - 20 of 21 Posts