Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What you will need:

Auto P28 ECU Chipped & Converted to 5spd, Or Auto P06 Chipped, converted to 5spd and vtec (Link to DIY ECU Chipping.)
P08 Maps (Attached)
Soldering Iron
Solder
Wire
Extra ECU Pin
Crome & chip burner
SPDT Automotive Relay

ECU Preparation:

Start by removing Q34
With the ECU positioned with the connectors to your left cut the top left leg of IC15
Solder a small piece of wire to the cut leg of IC15
solder the other end of the wire to the furthest right pin of R34

If not present you will need to add:
1uf 35v capacitor to C61
UNR411F or 2SA1654 Transistor to Q17

Relay Wiring:

connect terminal 85 on the Relay to ground
connect terminal 86 to A19 on the ECU (you will have to add this pin)
connect terminal 87a to ignition switched 12volts (can be found on the right side of the engine bay, there's a plug with multiple yellow/black wires, splice into one of them)
connect terminal 30 to the vtec spool valve closest to the oil cap

Crome Preparation:

Open the P08 maps in crome that were attached in this thread.

Select "File" and click "Export Tables"

Save as "P08 Tables"

Open New "P72 Base"

Select "File" and click "Import Tables"

Select the "P08 Tables.ct2" file

Go into the "Options" tab and change the options as shown

THE IAB box will control the first stage vtec solenoid.

Attachments

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good write up. This will work for people to get there d15b w/cvt converted to 4spd auto right?

This is still way above my head on electronics though.
nothing to do with transmission, just controlling the extra vtec spool valve on the engine.

If the iab is to control the first controller shouldn't it be set around 2800rpm?
not sure I didn't change the IAB box, but if it should be set there I will add it to the thread

couldnt i just use a manual p28 and just add the iab on chrome? then theres no reason to jump or solder anything.
if it were that easy why would I have listed all this?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
interesting...
why do i want to try this???
repped

·
Registered
267 Posts
interesting...
why do i want to try this???
repped

If you have the d15b 3 stage vtec motor than you need this type of setup, that because its hard to actually find the actual ecu, p2j-003 or p2j-j11, and the automatic ecu's could be a hassle to get running right.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
If you have the d15b 3 stage vtec motor than you need this type of setup, that because its hard to actually find the actual ecu, p2j-003 or p2j-j11, and the automatic ecu's could be a hassle to get running right.
lol, my question was rhetorical.
what you say is true, but an even better answer is to use obd1 so it can be tuned, opening a universe of possibilities.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
couldnt i just use a manual p28 and just add the iab on chrome? then theres no reason to jump or solder anything.
This is the hardware mod to make it actually work when you do that. If the circuit is not setup in the board to output the signal then simply enabling it in the software will do nothing.

What he is showing you how to do is to modify a High side switch that normally controls one of the the solenoids for the auto transmission (Think of it as a relay or Mosfet in small electronics terms) and using it to take place of the circuitry missing for the IAB output.

While most ecus may appear to be the same when you pop the cover, they very much are not.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My next question is what pinouts for the egr valve and what not? This is for people in the future who decide on using this method but retain all uses of sensors on the motor itself.

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
Obd chipped ecu cannot control egr, and furthermore, would make tuning impossible. Egr should be blocked off our switch to a y8 intake. More info as well, I was looking at my spare short block Yesterday and saw that the p2j pistons in the three stage have way less dish then a p2p y8 piston. With that being said,a y8 engine with the same head as a three stage and less cc pistons nets about 10/1 not the advertised 9.6/1 like the y8. theoretically with higher cr and more aggressive cam this engine will need more fuel added to p08 maps to run safely, and quite a few timing changes made as well.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Obd chipped ecu cannot control egr, and furthermore, would make tuning impossible. Egr should be blocked off our switch to a y8 intake. More info as well, I was looking at my spare short block Yesterday and saw that the p2j pistons in the three stage have way less dish then a p2p y8 piston. With that being said,a y8 engine with the same head as a three stage and less cc pistons nets about 10/1 not the advertised 9.6/1 like the y8. theoretically with higher cr and more aggressive cam this engine will need more fuel added to p08 maps to run safely, and quite a few timing changes made as well.
for EGR you could probably use a P07 ECU (Civic VX) and get it to work somehow.

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
So far still haven't seen a p07 that can do the job, last guy that tried couldn't get the wide band working correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts