Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the turbo setup on here my hood gets hot as fuck just driving around, let alone ripping. The underhood temps are bad for just about everything. Horsepower, cooling, even stuff like brakes and power steering. So what do you do?

JDM hood tilt? :greddy:

Or take a part off a 500 horsepower supercharged V8 beast and slap that bitch on your hood. :yes:

Here's the part number from Ford, they cost about $65.

AR3Z-16C630-AA

AR3Z- 16C630-AA MUSTANG HOOD INSERT FORD GT500 2010-2011

1 Measure twice... Measure one more time to be sure...

2 Cut once... Hopefully. Angle grinder with a big ass cutoff wheel works well. But I was able to get full penetration with just a 4" wheel.

3 Test fit that muf'.

4 Mask off your hood and spray the fresh metal you exposed by cutting with a little paint. Exposed steel will rust quickly!

5 Stick double sided foam tape on the underside... 5 feet of it should do.

6 Stick it on your hood and weigh the fucker down good. Give it an hour or so to stick properly before removing your weights.

Will post a finished pic once it's done sticking.

·
i save your ass when you wreck
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
i like how it fits perfectly on the raised part of the hood.. i like the idea.. lets see what it looks like finished!!

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Wonder if this would fit as good on a CRX?

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
very nice. i fully approve of this mod. now we need some before and after temps of ambient air under hood and iat's.

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
hmmm i wonder how this would look with a black hood. not a bad idea. i can see its purpose, when i drive for long periods of time my brakes tend to get mushy and the fan kicks on alot in traffic

·
Registered
92 Si
178 Posts
One of the local track guys has done something similar but with the EVO grill for the hood. Dropped his underhood temps enough to allow him to raise the boost a few more pounds while doing prolonged runs on VIR.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Probably. I'll go measure it for you.

32 inches across.
Well, the "valley" in the center of the hood is a little narrower than the "hump" on yours. I think I'd have to mount it a little farther back. Thanks for the measurement!

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
So with the turbo setup on here my hood gets hot as fuck just driving around, let alone ripping.
I hear you on that! Mine gets pretty warm since I don't have a heat-shield on the manifold. When it rains, I get some nice steam off the hood lol.

Very nice DIY though! :TU:

I'm not a fan of the JDM Hood-Tilt either, but I need to better manage eBay temps.

This might just be a viable option! :bigok:

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
That rocks! Will go good with my Jeep louvers

·
Registered
94 civic hatch
337 Posts
full penetration with just 4" lol... u the man!! Anyhow cool mod. If the glue dont adhere it, why not just mold it into your hood?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts