Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage to a divided housing exhaust manifold if the turbo is not divided? I am ordering the AFI front facing exhaust manifold and I can get the divided housing for the same price as the non. If there is going to be any difference, I know it would spool the turbo quicker, but would I lost any top end power compared to the non divided?

·
Registered
225 Posts
It wont do you any good if the turbo doesn't have a divided turbine housing. You'll be buying 2 wastegates and stuff for nothing. Open scroll works great. Divided wouldnt hurt at all. But you'd have to get the other housing to benefit.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I wasn't talking about the 2 wastegates. I don't know if I'm using the correct terminology about divided housing. I am talking about the t3 flange being split by a peice of metal. But, if you can't buy a 6262 with a divided housing, I'm just going to get the open housing. Am I understanding this?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Okay I wasn't talking about the 2 wastegates. I don't know if I'm using the correct terminology about divided housing. I am talking about the t3 flange being split by a peice of metal. But, if you can't buy a 6262 with a divided housing, I'm just going to get the open housing. Am I understanding this?
Part of the manifold being divided, is two wastegates. You have one on each side of the divide. unless you tie the two into one gate. But I dont care for that. You can get a divided housing. But when I bought my 6262, you had to buy it from a different company (precision didnt make them) and they cost more than the turbo did. so I said eff it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I get what you are saying now. I am emailing aaron now (sales rep on here for AFI). I'm just gonna get the open housing. Btw, do you have the bigger exhaust housing for your 6262? Because I just oredered a like new 6262 for $650 but it has the smaller exhaust housing... But I can just switch it out with the bigger one if it doesn't meet my goal.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Okay I get what you are saying now. I am emailing aaron now (sales rep on here for AFI). I'm just gonna get the open housing. Btw, do you have the bigger exhaust housing for your 6262? Because I just oredered a like new 6262 for $650 but it has the smaller exhaust housing... But I can just switch it out with the bigger one if it doesn't meet my goal.
awesome. mine is the .82 housing.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Use a twin-scroll with internal wastegate(Mitsubishi Evos, etc.); but answer is no. There's no advantage on a "regular" turbo.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
If he goes with a divided manifold, just use a turbo with a divided housing/twin-scroll turbo with an internal wastegate and the external ports capped off(cheaper). No advantage to using a twin-scroll design manifold on a regular turbo.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
On my motor going from a non twin scroll manifold to a twin scroll manifold made a big difference. Made full boost 1000 rpm sooner, nothing else changed.
Your turbine was probably too big!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Your turbine was probably too big!
12cm hot side on a Hx-35, motor made 408hp and 350ft/lbs last year and had close to 30,000 hard miles on it.

This year I put the motor into my crx. Same motor, same turbo, ect minus the manifold. The motor made more power a lot sooner. Twin scroll is the way to go when you have a smaller turbo and bigger turbo.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
A twin scroll turbo with a twin scroll manifold (1-4 paired, and 2-3 paired) will result in improved spool because the pulses will have more energy when separated like that.
If you have a shitty twin scroll manifold that pairs 1-2 and 3-4 like many do, there will be no benefit. It will probably be worse than a single good collector.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts