Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has ran into this issue before. I had this happen years ago and thought it was a fluke.

Have you guys dealt with aftermarket dizzys that can't reach the mark? Meaning - Even though you are absolutely SURE the mechanical timing is correct, the dizzy can't reach 16* (or the appropriate timing on your car)?

This happened to me in 2009 with a dizzy that wouldn't reach 16*. Everyone was telling me my mechanical timing was off but I knew for certain that it was correct. Slapped an OEM dizzy on it and everything was golden.

A few years ago, I bought a 1991 Celica GT as a winter beater. As some of you know, the 5th and 6th gen Celicas are something I dig...except for their disappearing gears, I love them. The dizzy was leaking like a mofo so I ordered a cheap, aftermarket dizzy for it. Same exact scenario. The dizzy wouldn't hit 16*. I decided to send it back and have them send me another one...just to see. When I got the new one, it did the exact same thing.

I ended up taking my grinder, throwing a cutting blade on it and cutting one side off of each of the dizzy's bolt arms. To open it up. This solved my problem and I was able to get it to the right timing.

Recently, I bought an aftermarket, Z6 dizzy for cheap. Now, I am 100% certain that my mechanical timing is on the mark. My OEM dizzy hits 16*...no problem. But the new one? Can't even get it to 10*. To make it work, I would have to do the exact same thing that I did to the Celica dizzy.

Also, when I purchased a Del Sol years ago, I drove it home and the auto trans felt sluggish. Even for an auto trans. So I checked the timing on it and the "tech" had set the ignition timing to the zero (TDC) mark. The owner had told me he had a new distributor put on it. When I attempted to move the dizzy to 16*, it wouldn't make it. At that time, I thought the mechanical timing was off. But it wasn't when I pulled the motor later. So I believe that the "mechanic" got confused when the aftermarket dizzy wouldn't go to 16*...so he set it to zero...like a pro.

Have any of you guys dealt with this? Or seen this in the past? I can't be alone in this..especially with having four encounters of my own.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,917 Posts
I only read half the post but ive had/seen cheap aftermarket dizzys not be able to hit correct timing without notching out the tabs on a few dseries and bseries even though mechinical was dead on. I like to take the guts out of the aftermarket ones and put them in the oem case. That helps lots. But if the bearing is gone. That isnt going to help you.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's a good idea to put the guts in the original housing. For sure. I mainly wanted to know if other people had seen this issue. So thanks for chiming in.

I need to find an OEM Z6 dizzy for the housing and keep my old beast in one piece. Sucks. When I was strictly NoTec, I had two Z6 dizzys and sold them for dirt cheap to people who needed them. Now I'd pay more for one than what I sold both of them for. Hah.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,917 Posts
It happens a lot, and i find lots of times people will talk about their car working like crap, only to find out they have a 100 china dizzy and never checked timing but they always claim they put the dizzy in the same spot.

When i rebuild my 01 gsr dizzy in feberuary i used oem case, a napa coil, oem icm from an obd0 civic dizzy that looked in good shape and a tdc sensor from a cheap china dizzy that wouldnt adjust into spec. Hit base timing with dizzy in center of adjustment and works perfect.

I think its the icm and case are the parts that cause it to not work out . Hence the reason a oem icm costs more then twice the cost of an aftermarket dizzy

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It happens a lot, and i find lots of times people will talk about their car working like crap, only to find out they have a 100 china dizzy and never checked timing but they always claim they put the dizzy in the same spot.

When i rebuild my 01 gsr dizzy in feberuary i used oem case, a napa coil, oem icm from an obd0 civic dizzy that looked in good shape and a tdc sensor from a cheap china dizzy that wouldnt adjust into spec. Hit base timing with dizzy in center of adjustment and works perfect.

I think its the icm and case are the parts that cause it to not work out . Hence the reason a oem icm costs more then twice the cost of an aftermarket dizzy
Yep, had the same issue with my aftermarket dizzy. Had to elongate the holes to get it time right.

Right on. Yeah, it was funny as hell driving one of the Sols I bought home. Not only was it auto trans...but I couldn't believe how sluggish the Z6 in it was. When it was idling in the guy's driveway, nothing sounded "wrong". Finding the dizzy timing set to zero / TDC made me laugh. I found the receipts for a lot of work that had been done in the glove compartment. I believe a dealership had done the job. Hah. I can't believe the dude had drove it around like that.

So many of these POS dizzys get sold that this is probably one of the main issues with people looking for help with not being able to get the car in time. Then they end up jacking up their mechanical timing trying to get the dizzy timing in order.

DIzzy chaos is the enemy of safety.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,455 Posts
I could make 15,000 posts on dizzy timing.....oh wait, I already have.

Then again, I was the first to slot for more initial/base timing. You like 14-16 BTDC? I like 20-24 BTDC, make those slots longer.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could make 15,000 posts on dizzy timing.....oh wait, I already have.
Then again, I was the first to slot for more initial/base timing. You like 14-16 BTDC? I like 20-24 BTDC, make those slots longer.
When I was rocking a stock P28, I was running the Z6 at about 20 with 93 gas.

I could obsess about dizzy / cam timing for days...and weeks...and years...

mine has extra large washers on the bolts to catch the ears..
That's the ticket there...so you can squeeze it right to the edge without finding your dizzy sitting on your trans.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts