Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some people know I've recently done a rebuild and I'm trying to fine tune my timing and idle but I've been having some problems with it.

I've just finished reading through some information and if I'm not mistaken the idle and the timing are separate? Am I correct in that statement? I need to adjust a screw on the IAC to get my idle where I want it and then adjust my distributor to get my timing where I want it?

I've had popping, what I call burbles. It's cleared up considerably since I re gaped my spark plugs to .040. I figured it was from a higher compression ratio and I needed a cooler burn. I adjusted my distributor and it helped a bit more. I have since readjusted my distributor trying to find where I like it from a driving perspective and I've got it messed up again and my idle drops to 650 from about 800 rpm after driving.

I'm trying to get the idle to rest at about 750 and then play with my distributor from there.

There's no CEL's I'm just trying to fine tune it to the way I like it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Timing being off will affect the idle. Jump the service connector to lock timing and set the distributor with a light. Then you can set the idle (with the service connector still jumped, and the iacv unplugged).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had popping, what I call burbles.
Sounds like your cam and crank may not be timed with each other.

I adjusted my distributor and it helped a bit more.
I'm leaning towards my previous statement.

Ensure both cam and crank are set at TDC, other wise depending on whatever modifications you might have:

Try adjusting your cam timing either +/-. Ensure your crank is absolutely at TDC, then make your cam adjustments. Always ALWAYS rotate you engine assemble after making mechanical changes to ensure you do not encounter mechanical interference. This is something you do not want to experience on startup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Timing on the cam/crank is correct. I did go to a .028" head gasket and the head got milled .008" otherwise bolt ons are the only things that have changed. I just did a valve lash adjustment and set the spark gap back to .035" and I can feel that I need to adjust the IAC and distributor again. Advancing the timing removes most of the burbles as does enlarging the spark gap.

I rotated the assembly by hand through 2 cycles before I started it the first time. I just hit 1500 miles and 40mpg, 32mpg was before I got the valve lash and IAC/distributor adjustments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts