Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a few searches and did not get exactly the info I wanted so here goes...

The D16Z6 engines in my Honda Challenge car have had bottom end reliability issues to far and I attribute some of the bottom end problems to inadequate oil pressure. Such as large drop in pressure @ VTEC crossover.

Has anyone used a VTEC head with the VTEC cam and locked the rockers together so the large lobes are used all the time with the VTEC selenoid unplugged.

I believe this would help eliminate large oil pressure fluctuations?

·
Registered
395 Posts
It can be done, but you have to remember VTEC is supposed to kick in at a certain time when there is enough oil pressure for it. If you locked the VTEC in without the right oil pressure from 1000-5600rpms before VTEC is supposed to kick in you're going to cause premature wear in your rocker assembly. Why not just take the time and find out whats wrong with your bottom end and replace/fix it??

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am having the bottom end rebuilt now...checking the crank, balancing it, champfering the oil holes. ARP rod bolts, new bearings, new OE oil pump that will be shimmed for more pressure. Fact of the matter is that a rocker assy is easier/cheaper to replace than my newley built bottom end.

I realize that VTEC looks @ oil pressure, RPM, etc. before engaging. I do not see how that having it engaged all the time "without the right oil pressure" would affect wear (besides the fact that more parts would be moving all the time)...since oil pressure would stay fairly constant due to the solenoid never engaging.

Please correct me if I am thinking incorrectly.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I am having the bottom end rebuilt now...checking the crank, balancing it, champfering the oil holes. ARP rod bolts, new bearings, new OE oil pump that will be shimmed for more pressure. Fact of the matter is that a rocker assy is easier/cheaper to replace than my newley built bottom end.

I realize that VTEC looks @ oil pressure, RPM, etc. before engaging. I do not see how that having it engaged all the time "without the right oil pressure" would affect wear (besides the fact that more parts would be moving all the time)...since oil pressure would stay fairly constant due to the solenoid never engaging.

Please correct me if I am thinking incorrectly.
You might as well ditch the Vtec head if your going to do that.

How early did you have the car Vtec'ing? Why not fit an oil pressure gauge?
So you can see what pressure your running and how much it drops by when you come on vtec.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might as well ditch the Vtec head if your going to do that.

How early did you have the car Vtec'ing? Why not fit an oil pressure gauge?
So you can see what pressure your running and how much it drops by when you come on vtec.
Cant swap the head...gotta stay stock. VTEC crossover was P28 stock ECU setting.

get a better oil pan and pump for racing application if the car is starving for oil
Mentioned I was getting a new OE pump and shimming it. I have owned the Moroso/ OBX pans before and they are crap.

its called a vtec killer cam. ur low end will suck
I will be running the stock cam on the high lobes only...not switching cams. I do not really need low end.

What I want to know is has any one done it and how did it work?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
get a pump with a bigger pick up and a different pan other than moroso/obx

I know they make pans that have more capacity
Thinking I might custom make and weld a bigger sump on to my stock pan...anyone have any experiance with this? My thought would be to mimic the Moroso/OBX design.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
ive heard about people using a different cam, it's something like a V-tec killer cam or some shit like that....idk,but its suppost to have V-tec size cam lobes for the primary rocker arms, but ive never actually seen it done, it might just be bullsh*t

and if u ask me i dont it can be done

·
Registered
652 Posts
well if you did that, wouldnt it not be stock anymore?

·
Registered
220 Posts
ive heard about people using a different cam, it's something like a V-tec killer cam or some shit like that....idk,but its suppost to have V-tec size cam lobes for the primary rocker arms, but ive never actually seen it done, it might just be bullsh*t

and if u ask me i dont it can be done
Can't change the cam for Honda-Challenge. It has to be a stock Honda cam.

I am not sure what you can do about this one. You are not the only one to have bottom end problems with the Z6 on the track. Talk to slammed_93_hatch on the NASA Forums. He runs H4 on the west coast with our cars. I am sure if there is something plaguing the Z6 he has seen it.

Hey Matt, Were the ones that died just pulled and placed into your car or did you rebuild them previously? I am wondering if they were just run down. The other idea would be to install an Accusump so you have a good oil supply.

Good luck man!

--Doug

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
fabricate fullsize pins to lock the vtec rocker all the time, replace the spring and oil actuated assembly.
disconnect the vtec solenoid and you should be done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts