Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

We are running a 96 Civic Hatch on dirt tracks. We have the following setup:

Y7 Block
Y8 Head
OBD1 wiring harness
OBD1 dizzy
P28 ECU

Motor runs strong EXCEPT that after a few laps, the motor "cuts off." By "cut off", I mean the car doesn't completely shut off, but it's like it goes to idle. If you try to give it throttle, you get "bah-bah, bah-bah" like it's hitting the chip. After a minute or so, the engine will return to normal for a lap or so and then the same thing.

No certain times / events when this happens - very random, although it seems to be more prevalent when engine comes up to temp.

Also, no dirty air filter and no gauges (other than mechanical temp gauge), so codes are not an option.

Any ideas?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Well you're running the wrong base map for that motor combo for one. PM Staypuff578, he can fix that for ya.

Are you sure you swapped the plugs over correctly? No loose connections?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you're running the wrong base map for that motor combo for one. PM Staypuff578, he can fix that for ya.

Are you sure you swapped the plugs over correctly? No loose connections?
All connections good...
Forgive my ignorance, but please explain base map and what it should be for my application.

Thanks

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
All connections good...
Forgive my ignorance, but please explain base map and what it should be for my application.

Thanks
Each ECU comes with a factory base map (it controls fuel and spark), right now you've got an OBD1 D16Z6 base map loaded onto your P28 ECU (unless you've changed it). The base map for the Z6 and the base map for the Y8 are different. You should be running the Y8 base map. I don't know if this will fix your problem but it should make the motor more efficient (better mpg and slightly more power.

·
Registered
In circles.LOL
862 Posts
I think you are supposed to use dizzy for head.y8 head=y8 dizzy.But maybe if you swap the whole harness you wont need to.Not too good with the swapping of harnesses and stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts