Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Civic DX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I plan on building a D16Y7 engine with vitara pistons and eagle rods. I'm shooting for about 225-275whp on a turbo setup. I know that the pistons and rods are a little bit overkill but I don't want to have to worry about my stock internals breaking.

My problem is, I can't figure out which turbocharger to buy. I'm getting a cast iron manifold from GO Autoworks with a T3 flange, but I don't mind making/buying an adapter to use something other than a T3 turbo. I looked into the TD04L-13T but I read that it shouldn't make it past 230whp and will just blow hot air past that. I also heard that most turbos from Volvos and Saabs won't make it to 250whp. I like the idea of pulling a stock turbo from a car but I'm having issues finding one that will match my goals. Obviously there are turbos made by Garrett, Turbonetics, Precision, etc. that would work but I would rather not spend more that $550. I would like something that spools at a pretty decent speed and would like to start building boost around 3k rpm or so. I want to be able to drive around town without making boost if I choose to. Do I have too many preferences to find a turbo that would work?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,033 Posts
you have too little google skills. start by learning to read a compressor map. once you learn that, then you can figure out what turbo will suit your needs.....

god forbid you check the stickies in forced induction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a holset he351 on my Vitara build. goal is 400 wheel. Cheap and reliable, lots of diesel guys cook them and still run fine.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
T3 50 trim, king of turbos

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
328 Posts
All my research has been on small snails w <200hp potential. Ever thought of going that direction?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
All my research has been on small snails w <200hp potential. Ever thought of going that direction?
This should be a serious consideration. You'd be surprised how much fun these cars are around the 180 whp mark ... and with a small quick spooling turbo you have a juicy torque curve to boot.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I had a setup, 175whp/175tq, car ran 12s at the strip with slicks, and COOKED tires. I really liked that setup thinking back to it. It was my first boosted Honda setup, and it was pretty quick and stout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts