Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Pew Pew!
EJ6
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a disassembled y8 head and all the valve springs were tossed into one bag.

Now is there a way for me to figure out which one is the intake springs and which is the exhaust?

of course these are OEM springs, just in case anyone was wondering.

thanks
- sammo

· Pew Pew!
EJ6
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I was able to notice a stupid light shade of red on 8 of the valve springs and from what finding out is that they are color coded for either intake or exhaust.

Ive tried searching about color coding for valve springs but came up with others asking the same thing but with no results. LOL.

· Registered
'97 crv
3,567 Posts
IIRC (could be wrong) red is exhaust

· Pew Pew!
EJ6
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IIRC (could be wrong) red is exhaust

Service manual has the info, even which end of the spring goes towards the head.

It's been a "long exhaust"ing day.
Ha! I didnt even realize to even look there. Thanks Bones.

iirc
red = exhaust
green = intake

There is actually no green markings on the other valve springs hahaha. I only barely noticed the redish mark from me getting pissed off and almost throwing one then I noticed the blemish. LOL.

· Registered
1988 CRX
615 Posts
And here I was thinking they were all the same. Shows you what I know.

· Pew Pew!
EJ6
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And here I was thinking they were all the same. Shows you what I know.
From my search of my answer yesterday, SOME aftermarket Valve springs are have the same rate. So your right on certain aspects :bigok:

Does it matter? and what if the color is gone how would you tell? Size? Spring rate? etc..?
From an OEM stand point yes. It matters. As the Y8 intake valve springs are stiffer then those from the exhaust. How much stiffer? That is another question for another day =P

Oh and if the color markings are completely gone then id say...your SOL. LMAO.

Good luck Sammo!
Thanks G! I seriously hope I get a decent amount of gains from this Frankenstein head work. Id be happy with a 10hp gain. LOL.

· Registered
92 Civic Si
3,145 Posts
Grab a set your sure of from the jy? Or pop a vc off and see what colors they have

· Pew Pew!
EJ6
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thinking he gave ya different springs
im seeing blue , and brown for y8

green from the y7

HRMMM!. I do have a set of Y7 valve springs and also a set of JDM D15B valve springs. I shall go and inspect them...LOL. *need to spread some rep before whoring them to Ryan. LMAO*

Grab a set your sure of from the jy? Or pop a vc off and see what colors they have
Well the color markings arent just on the side of the valve spring, they are actually on the underside of the spring so basically the under bedding of the valve spring. LOL ><

· Registered
1988 CRX
615 Posts
Well the color markings arent just on the side of the valve spring, they are actually on the underside of the spring so basically the under bedding of the valve spring. LOL ><
Let's see... I think I remember some Z6 springs I have laying around having some markings on them.

· Pew Pew!
EJ6
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just finished looking thru the Honda Service Manual for the 96-98 Civic. There are NO information about valve spring color coding or anything with color mentioned with the valve spring BUT it does state how to place them. The end with the closest wound coil faces the cylinder head =P

Also currently at the moment uploading the pictures that I took of all the valves spring that are to my disposal. Which are a set of Y7 valve springs and JDM D15B valve springs and of course these "Y8" valve springs *yet to be proven*

JDM D15B Intake Valve Spring

JDM D15B Exhaust Valve Spring

Y7 Intake Valve Spring

Y7 Exhaust Valve Spring

Mysterious "Y8" Valve Spring
Red:

Green:

So, anyone out there that can confirm what valve springs these are?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.