Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading this thread:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23786

and the guy pretty much described what I'm experiencing right now.

1. the driver's side axle has maybe like 5mm of room from being flush with the transmission casing.

2. occasionally, I'll get a loud knock coming from the engine bay when I'm driving. Commonly, this happens when I accelerate from a stop or do a hard brake.

3. it does NOT make a grinding noise when I drive however.

Could this be a result of one of my differential pins being broken? If so, can I fix it by replacing the pin or do I need to replace the whole differential? I have a z6 transmission, but I have a spare DX differential.... can anything be swapped between the two to make it work?

If not, maybe I ought to find a cheap OBX LSD and use that instead... it's a shame because I won't be keeping my car past a year. :( What should I do?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
92+ don't have the weak pin, you'll explode the spider gears first.

The knock is likely your motor mounts, I'll guess the rear one.

Been running my ES inserts for so long, I forgot about that knocking noise.

Cheap fix, buy the ES inserts for $35, only use the rear set, sell the rest :)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice to know! thanks, I'll look into the rear mount inserts...

as for the axle having a little room from the transmission, is this normal? I tried taking it out and putting it back in the other day, but it won't go flush with the casing like on the other side.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Yes thats normal. at least it is on mine. Both stock and gator axles fit this way in a stock diff and a quaife. I questioned it years ago but have never had a problem. Are sure your wheel is on tight for the knocking noise?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you know... now that I remember it, the transmission that I bought off ebay for $70 that had a broken shifter fork and fucked ISB ALSO had a problem with one of the rear mount holes being slightly stripped. When I got it, it had a broken off bolt in it and I took it to a machine shop to get it out. The machinist later told me that it's not in great shape but it will hold a bolt at least....

Maybe that's part of the problem. I wonder if I can fill the hole with some kind of compound and screw that bolt in... without making it permanently bolted in... Maybe just a ton of locktite will do the job.

Yeah, the wheels are on tight... I think i've taken them off like 5 times in the past 2 weeks, and I'm pretty sure I've got them on there pretty good. I might try the 3M window treatment on my rear mount instead of the ES inserts...

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, ok, you've convinced me :)

cheap fix... and if not a fix, then at least some improvement :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
exactly :)

Just note you have to remove the intake brace to get the rear mount out. It will take some wiggling, but it will come out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i have the same problem... it happens over bumps as well... sounds suspiciously like something is loose (i.e. one or more of the engine mounts)...
my tranny also pops out of 2nd when there is no load on the engine, and occasionally out of 3rd and 5th... i know the front drivers side mount is shot, but im wondering about the hydrolic one as well... i work for NAPA, so i can get a decent price on all the mounts, but that hydro one is still gonna cost me like $300 CDN... i have no problem replacing all the others, but is there a way to check the hydro one?

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
transzex said:
exactly :)

Just note you have to remove the intake brace to get the rear mount out. It will take some wiggling, but it will come out.
Intake brace wth is that? Ohhhh yeaaahhh thats the part I tossed away 90k miles ago. I remember it now :p

·
Registered
EF9
3 Posts
i having the same noise actually. during accel and decel. i thot of the cv joints at first but got it checked and twas still good.. cud the diff be the prob? i had this motor stock. and its a d16a jdm. can u pls help a noob? tnx
PS: gonna work on the rear mounts soon to see if theres a prob with it and hope to find the noise there not on the diff. xD tnx masters..

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Could be your ISB (input shaft bearing).

BTW, thanks for searching before just creating a whole new thread for something that is covered once a day it seems like.

·
Registered
EF9
3 Posts
bump! thanx! lol i just had to ask... haha. ill take note of that
thanks for searching before just creating a whole new thread for something that is covered once a day it seems like.
thanks anyhow! xD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts