Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I honestly have no clue as to how a steering wheel swap works or what you need when you go aftermarket. What I wanted to know was how can I install a 2008 TL or Civic steering wheel onto my EG?

I just think it looks and feels alot nicer I'm not too sure if the diameter is smaller than the stock wheel or not but it seems like a great upgrade if it's easy to do.

·
Registered
'89 CRX Si
469 Posts
Hey, I honestly have no clue as to how a steering wheel swap works or what you need when you go aftermarket. What I wanted to know was how can I install a 2008 TL or Civic steering wheel onto my EG?

I just think it looks and feels alot nicer I'm not too sure if the diameter is smaller than the stock wheel or not but it seems like a great upgrade if it's easy to do.
OH SHIT!!! I'm about 2 do the same thing. I was thinkin' if the splines don't line up, then I'd just mod a hub adapter. I like the new Civic steering wheel too! Tell u the truth, I'd love to swap in the whole dash assy from the new civic si, in my ED.

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I would need to know if the spline count is the same on the new wheel and if it isnt then i would need a hub adapter and that just takes stock splines and the other end has X number of splines. I really have no clue as of now so can someone explain to me what the hub adapter does and why the spline count is so important.

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
the steering wheel is connected to the steering shaft with splines so when you turn the wheel the shaft turns, same concept as your axles. You would need to disconnect the battery, wait, remove air bag, remove steering wheel, reverse procedure for install. I would stay away from the after market wheels because of the lack of air bag. There is not much to a civic and I like knowing I have a chance if I crash.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
From my reading you would need to convert to a ek steering column... I know for a fact that a newer civic (06+) s2k, and rsx steering wheel will fit an ek...

Oh and you probably need to change the airbag from a two stage to a one stage... I did that on my rsx wheel

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does going from two stage to single stage airbags involve and how much would this cost to do?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Just get an aftermarket steering wheel if you have no use for the cruise control. That is the only reason stopping me from taking my stock steering wheel off my ej8.

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't need the cruise control and this is an OEM piece which I'm assuming I can still have the airbag work like importheaven mentioned earlier and besides if it's not that hard to do there's plenty of OEM wheels I could probably use.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
What does going from two stage to single stage airbags involve and how much would this cost to do?
To be honest man, I don't remember but it wasn't insanely hard. Do a search on honda-tech..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts