Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on a sad note to start this thread, I sold my SOHC today. It was my first motor I built, tuned and started autocrossing on. Anywho, now it's sold I'd like to go back with a DOHC ZC in my daily driver I'm building. It fits my whole "old-school" theme for it.

So, other than the OBD, what are the differences? One make a little more power, or harder to find parts for? I've found the OBD1 cheaper than the OBD0, but if the OBD0 makes more power I'll go that route (plus it'd keep me from having to buy another conversion harness and P28.

·
Registered
ED6&7. EE4&5, MB1
200 Posts
No major differences that would affect the choise.
I'd pick the OBD1 version if it's cheaper.
I've converted mine to OBD1 and it runs great on Neptune.

OBD0:
- separate Cylinder Position Sensor
- Intake manifold accepts OBD0 throttlebodies (less possibilities)
- Map sensor on firewall
- Less tuning solutions due OBD0 ecu

OBD1:
- Cylinder Position Sensor inside distributor
- Intake manifold accepts OBD1 throttlebodies (more possibilities)
- Map sensor on throttlebody
- More tuning solutions due OBD1 ecu

Exhaust manifold downpipe part might be 4-1 or 4-2-1 depending on version but propably you won't run the stock exhaust manifold anyway.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'd choose an obd1 motor and run obd0. For the only reason of the obd1 intake manifold and throttle body mounted map sensor. And they are newer and hopefully in little better shape!

You can add the front cam sensor easily

Another difference is the obd0 fan switch is on back of block whereas ovd1 should be on the thermostat and uses a different plug.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Biggest downside to the obd1 is there is no usdm equivalent distributor....so sourcing one is basically left up to eBay.

Turbo edit has come a long way in the past years....at least that's what the beave claims!

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know folks, thanks for the heads up.

Tuning won't be an issue, I can tune whatever, just have to re-familiarize myself with TurboEdit (Read that as email Beave for help lol). It would almost be cheaper to buy the $100 more expensive OBD0 motor since I already have a spare socketed PM6 and wouldn't have to buy an OBD adapter harness. The dizzy thing concerned me as well.

As for the TB, what's this about not fitting OBD1+ TB's on the OBD0 mani? It's been years since I've fooled with stock A6 TB and OBD0, are the IACV ports different or something?

I don't plan to mod this motor beyond tune/I/H/E (even then, I have an HKS system that's small and quiet), but we all know how that goes right? I've just always been fascinated by these motors and their power delivery so I figured I'd try it out.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IACV will be mounted to the intake on either obd0 or odb1. But OBD1 some have a FITV on the TB (not sure what TB comes on ZC)
Ah. I'll just replace it with one without the FITV lol. I never have anything but issues with them.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
if you're looking at cheap tuning options, OBD0 TE is FAR superior to CROME and uberdata (not that anyone uses it anymore...)

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Le sigh. Thanks for all the help, but I'm settling on a D15B VTEC. I have too many race car parts to buy to justify the price on a ZC when my friend offered me a good deal on his D15B. One day ZC, one day...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts