Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install an MFactory or Quaife LSD in my '90 ED, but I would like to go with the larger and stronger 40mm carrier bearings. Does anyone know if there are any other differences between the transmission cases besides the size of the bearing bores for the carrier bearings? I'm curious if a good machine shop can machine a pair of DX transmission case halves for the larger bearings, or if there's more to the "upgrade" than that? My car is just going to be a fun commuter with a supercharged d16z6, so I think the stock DX gearing will be fine for my application. Any information about other DX/SI tranmission case differences would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,603 Posts
Cost to have the case machined is over $1000, maybe closer to $2000 since a jig needs built and special long reach cutters needed.

Or you can buy a 35mm Quaife, do one simple machining for the speedo gear and be done.

Or just buy the right tranny to begin with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm on the lookout for a good SI tranny, but I'm curious if it might be possible to modify the DX case for the SI differential/bearings.

EDIT: sorry; I posted at the same time at transex. Do you guys know if there are other differences besides the bearing bore sizes?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the main shaft and counter shaft are the same, but i believe there may be some slight differences in their bearings as well... dont quote me, hopefully bohne can chime in again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone tell me if the SI transmissions prior to 1989 have the same larger 40mm bearings? I've found two of these, but I'm not sure if I can swap my DX internals into these cases or not. I realize the clutch disc spline on the input shafts is different, but are there other reasons to avoid these earlier units?

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Just buy some 40mm Tranny case halves, swap your gears in, and drop an lsd into it. Thats what I did. Only thing I had to do was make a custom shim to set the clearance correctly between the case and the carrier bearings.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Just buy some 40mm Tranny case halves, swap your gears in, and drop an lsd into it. Thats what I did. Only thing I had to do was make a custom shim to set the clearance correctly between the case and the carrier bearings.
did u check the clearances on the shaft as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts