Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any differences in the bottom ends of the y7 and y8? Are the cranks interchangeable? I checked and the bearings are interchangeable. Are the flywheel ends the same size?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:TU:pistons on a y7 have just a little bit more compression. Bout the only difference.
The y7 engine is a 9.4:1 and the y8 is 9.6:1 compression engine. The head volume is smaller in the y8. My y7 pistons are flat top iirc. What's the y8 piston look like?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oil pans are different as well...one is cast aluminum and the other is your normal metal pan. I belive the oil pickups have to match as well.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
dont throw out the out pistons and rods, let me have them I can add them to my collection of honda parts

Oil pans are different but the pickups are not, right now i have a y7 pickup with a y8 oil pan.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Oil pans are different as well...one is cast aluminum and the other is your normal metal pan. I belive the oil pickups have to match as well.
this stuff (just like the pistons/rods) doesn't really matter since he will be building it. true the aluminum pan would be slightly better for cooling, but if its boosted its not really going to matter imo.

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
this stuff (just like the pistons/rods) doesn't really matter since he will be building it. true the aluminum pan would be slightly better for cooling, but if its boosted its not really going to matter imo.

X2

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad I have the y7 pan then. I welded a turbo oil return into it. If it was aluminum, it would have been a pain.

I don't actually have a y8 engine. I'm just searching for parts (crank) and want to know what's interchangeable.

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
:hijacked: there is no diff. head studs need to put a Y8 head on a Y7 block correct? they are just D16 set?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts