Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tranny finally blew and I have been calling around for another one, and cant find a vtec-e for my 97 Y8 motor. But I found a vtec tranny from a 2000 civic, and my question is will it fit ok? and will I be losing out on anything because its not vtec-e?

The dealer said it should be fine to fit but the junkyard said it might be different because of the -e....

Any help is appreciated, just dont want to buy it and have issues.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
they are all the same. its whats inside that counts.
you could put a y5 tranny on the y8. but thats what we like to call counter productive.

·
Registered
Civic EG
463 Posts
If your talking about JDM Vtec-E. it has the same tranny as USDM VX afaik, long ass gears. I had one of those with my JDM D15B Vtec, was a one stupid ex-tranny, but ya it could be used to catch topspeeds lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, when they asked vtec-e i was like uhhhh, i know theres an s40 and s20 and I want the s40 lol

I am glad I am getting the one I need

BTW I just broke a valve cover bolt.......big deal?

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
yes. get it out and replace. i think they are really only torqued to like 9 lbs. check yer specs.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Wait so you have a D16Y8(Ex) and you want to put a D16Y5(Hx) long geared transmission on it? You do know the VTEC-e Hx tranny is not good for acceleration?

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
Hey! dont let my car hear you say that. otherwise it will take me forever to get to work.
no, really though, its not that bad.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait so you have a D16Y8(Ex) and you want to put a D16Y5(Hx) long geared transmission on it? You do know the VTEC-e Hx tranny is not good for acceleration?

no thats what the junkyard said i was supposed to have....i am glad i didnt buy into that

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
you should know better ythan to listen to a chevy gearhead at a junkyard(no offense to the chevy crowd) when it comes to hondas. get the better tranny cuz you will have better performance overall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts