Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that I feel has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to figure out how to find the answer. I'm looking to buy a 96-00 civic to turbo, and I was wondering if there was any major reason to get an ex over an lx.
I know the major difference between them is the vtec vs non vtec, but will there be a differenice with tuning? I was talking to someone who has built many civics, and he told me that I should get an ex because it will be easier to tune and make idle correctly. Is this true?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Well for one the LX is a sedan, while the EX is a coupe. You may be thinking of the DX, which is a more stripped down coupe that came with a non-VTEC engine.

There are 2 things to consider. Weight and what engine comes in the car.

The EX coupe, and the LX sedan are both pretty heavy by civic standards. You want a light chassis for going fast, so I would be looking for one of the eco models, such as the CX and HX. The CX is totally stripped (manual everything) while HX is pretty light but still has power windows and doors.

The engines we have to deal with are the D16Y8 VTEC in the EX, the D16Y7 non-VTEC in the CX, DX, and LX, and finally the D16Y5 in the HX (special fuel economy engine).
Unfortunately, all options are kinda shit. In particular the D16Y8 suffers from oiling issues, the others do as well, but seemingly to a lesser extent.

If youre set on a 96-00, I would go for a good, light chassis and dont worry about the engine. Go ahead and turbo whatever it has (you dont need VTEC), and just plan on replacing the engine. I would have a D16A/Z standing by for when your D16Yx inevitably spins a bearing. You may even want to go ahead and build an engine on the side so you can make some real power.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Go to a different tuner.
That one doesnt know what he is talking about.
The idle will work just fine on either.
Yes a y7 iacv is 3 wire and needs to be converted to 2 wire. But its very easy to do.

So get which car you want and a different tuner.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that the EX came as a sedan as well? I'm only looking to make 200 WHP. Will the engine still spin a bearing?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that's what I thought. He isn't a professional tuner, he just has a lot of experience building and tuning Hondas on his own.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I thought that the EX came as a sedan as well? I'm only looking to make 200 WHP. Will the engine still spin a bearing?
200Hp at the crank is the safe zone in my opinion..

When you have an engine with oil issues around a certain point, why try to get to that "unsafe" zone?

Keep it simple, but your going to want more power after a month or two..

this is when the engine will spin a bearing.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
replace the oil pump and make sure you keep your oil levels good and your be fine.

the y motors do spring bearings faster then other d16 or d15 motors. its mainly due to the crank oil holes. but there are problem running the y motors with high power without problems.

***edit
There are "people running high power without problems"

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
replace the oil pump and make sure you keep your oil levels good and your be fine.

the y motors do spring bearings faster then other d16 or d15 motors. its mainly due to the crank oil holes. but there are problem running the y motors with high power without problems.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
honda specifies 5w-20 in the d16y7 and d16y8 motors AFTER they produced the cars.

Ive never seen a spun y7 or y8 motor that was maintained properly. Ive seen plenty of them spun with shitty ignorant drivers

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Well for one the LX is a sedan, while the EX is a coupe
idk if you know but there are ex sedans, i own one.

i would get an ex whether its a coupe or sedan because the manifold design will simplify your intercooler setup and you wont have to do any nonsense iacv 3 to 2 wire conversions to swap manifolds. also a better hp starting point is a plus.

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
881 Posts
Some prefer the Y7 so the powerband is constant instead of the Vtec crossover. The downdraft IM blows though.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
honda specifies 5w-20 in the d16y7 and d16y8 motors AFTER they produced the cars.

Ive never seen a spun y7 or y8 motor that was maintained properly. Ive seen plenty of them spun with shitty ignorant drivers
Ive never seen an EK with one owner that took care of it, so I suppose its possible youre right. They do seem to spin bearings prolifically though.
Just the other say my neighbor was telling me his Y7 spun a bearing in a bone stock automatic DX. The car was well maintained and not driven hard.

There is something wrong with these engines. I dont know if its the crank or what, but there is something.

idk if you know but there are ex sedans, i own one.
I was not aware of that. Never seen one. lol

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Blu3, I tried posting in your build thread before, but I'm not sure if you saw it. How is your civic running? Is it still on the stook internals?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
have you tried messaging the member youre asking questions to, instead of chasing his posts? lol

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Fact, the EX started as a sedan...
correct. a '92 ex has four doors, the coupe was introduced in '93.
also, the EX sedan had the option of rear disk brakes (rare).
del sols also had that option.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the information everyone. I'm going to keep looking for a civic to get and limit it to only EX coupes and sedans. Until I'm going to keep spending all of my time reading build threads and information on here and everywhere else. I think I'm finally starting to understand everything that will go into building a turbo setup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts