Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the difference between the two? does one allow you to have AC over the other? i know that if you want to retain AC, it depends on the position of the turbo and the downpipe, but i heard somewhere that the bolt housing would also help you retain AC. If this is correct, can somebody chime in about how it would?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Not that I know of.

I think you mis-understood. The positioning of the flange on the manifold will determine whether or not you can keep AC.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
its just a flange, usually 5 bolt are for internal wg. i have a 4 bolt on my setup with external wg
Go look at a Garrett T3, most are 5 bolt and use an external WG. The ammount of bolts is meaningless.

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
Hell, not all turboes are just 4 or 5 bolt...mine's a 3-bolt flange! Either way, the number of bolts means nothing...it's all up to the manufacturer of the turbo.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. thanks for clarifying. i dont know where i got to believe that but yeah.

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
Actually there is a difference in the 4 and 5 bolt housing. (let me see if I can even explain it clearly). The 5 bolt housing has more of an angle to it and sits "out" from theflange a little more than a 4 bolt. Nothing major but that's about it.
Example...It is "easier" to make a A/C 5 bolt downpipe flange for the ebay/drag/ugr cast manis than it is to make a 4 bolt. The 5 bolt will stick away from the block more (w/ the compressor facing the passenger side) than a 4 bolt. The 4 bolt almost goes straight down ad tucks to the block more.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually there is a difference in the 4 and 5 bolt housing. (let me see if I can even explain it clearly). The 5 bolt housing has more of an angle to it and sits "out" from theflange a little more than a 4 bolt. Nothing major but that's about it.
Example...It is "easier" to make a A/C 5 bolt downpipe flange for the ebay/drag/ugr cast manis than it is to make a 4 bolt. The 5 bolt will stick away from the block more (w/ the compressor facing the passenger side) than a 4 bolt. The 4 bolt almost goes straight down ad tucks to the block more.

im trying to picture it in my head but its not going through. so your saying the 5bolt will go towards the condensor more correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts