Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i've got an obd1 sohc zc vtec in my civic that originally came with a z6. i know the cam's are differance between the two, and read that the pistons are differant between the two (p28 pistons in z6 and p08 pistons in zcvtec) and they use differant ecu's(p28 vs p08). now my question is, does anyone know that these are infact true differances? and wouldnt swapping p08 pistons for p28 pistons raise my compression? also, whats the differance between p28 ecu's and p08 ecus? differant cam/ignition timing? differant a/f? differant vtec x-over?

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
i had a zc vtec.. the cam was noticeably different than a z6 one when we pulled it out

i just ran mine on a p28... didnt see any sense in trying to find the jdm ecu for more than likely little to no gain, you can just chip the p28 and run the jdm maps

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you positive the zcvtec uses a p70 ecu n not a p08?(not saying your wrong, just double checking)....and i swear i read that the zcvtec uses p08 pistons instead of p28, and the cam is def. differant....

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
are you positive the zcvtec uses a p70 ecu n not a p08?(not saying your wrong, just double checking)....and i swear i read that the zcvtec uses p08 pistons instead of p28, and the cam is def. differant....
PO8 ecu and pistons are D15b.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
are you positive the zcvtec uses a p70 ecu n not a p08?(not saying your wrong, just double checking)
P70 : 92-95 OBD-1 Domani (sohc vtec zc - no oil pressure sensor reading)
Actually you can run a P28 or a P70 Ecu on you D16Z6. The P70 is just the JDM version on the P28. They are the same ECU.
it is no different than p08 jdm ,just p70 does have vtec control ,while p71 doesn't
Besides the P08 being an ecu for a 1.5, it would seem that p28, p70 and p08 could all be used on any sohc vtec engine. Just remember that there are differences in each of these engines (d16z6, d15b, zc vtec) and they all have different ecus for a reason.

I have a D15B and use only a P08.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok cool, cuz i was guna have my ecu chipped and get a basemap made, guess ill shoot for a p70 basemap since it uses a differant cam....i still swear i read sumwhere that the d15b and zc vtec use the same pistons and same camshaft....

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
there is one difference i just recently discovered that no one has ever mentioned to my notice...

the sohc zc vtec does not have an EGR port drilled into the head like a Z6 does (even tho the z6 doesnt use an EGR valve)

but im not 100% sure the z6 has that hole in the exhaust port. someone needs to double check. i just know the zc doesnt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts