Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there would be a huge differance in power at the same boost levels between the .48a/r and .63a/r exhaust housing on a t3/t4e 57 trim??

I know the peak power output is about 150hp less with the .48a/r but will there be that huge of a differance in power at say 7psi between the 2 housings?

The only reason i ask is because it will be on a stock motor for quite a while and it would be nice to have the faster spool of the .48a/r since ill only be going to stock Y8 redline. But if there is going to be a major power loss then ill just go with the .63 housing and deal with the extra lag i guess.

sorry if this is a dumb question... i just still dont fully understand the whole a/r..trim...compressor map stuff. :rolleyes:

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
I'd say there'd be a noticeable dif in the 2 housings at 7 psi, I'm sure someone will chime that knows more about this than me though. I'm going to run the smaller of the 2, it should be good to 300 whp or a little more. That's more than I'll ever need.

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
Personally I'd go with the .48, especially being on the stock motor. The power diff between the 2 at only 7psi. will be minimal. Once you get alot higher in the boost level you'll start to see more difference between the numbers. The .48 will start to run out of breath a little sooner, but you'd be up above the 300 mark before that would become an issue.

I had (still have) a 57 .63 on mine (it's sittin on a shelf somewhere). It was a little too laggy for my taste, but when it came on it would come with it. I now run a 50trim .63.

·
Registered
2011 VW Jetta Tdi
106 Posts
^ What he said. Its all dependent on the compressor maps. I switched from a .43/.63 to a .60/.63 and I have noticed no difference in power at 9psi. I know my new turbo flows much more but at my boost levels its minimally different based on the compressor maps i looked at for each turbo. I guess it all just comes down to the quickness of spool that youre looking for. If you want it to spool quick, I second the motion for the .48, if you are thinking about upping the boost later on id go with the bigger snail for its higher end efficiency.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
stock block go with the smallest turbo that makes your power goals.
both the .48 and the .63 will compliment a built motor nicely.
my .63 had full boost by 4,500 rpms. you might see a 500 to 1,000 rpm improvement on spool time on a built motor with the .48, but on a stock block it wouldn't hardly make a difference. if you plan on building your bottom end in the future the goals for these turbos should be 300 to 350 with the .48
and just under 450 for the .63 exhaust housing.
the .63 on my ride pulled very nicely from the mentioned 4,500 all the way up to 8 grand

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stock block go with the smallest turbo that makes your power goals.
both the .48 and the .63 will compliment a built motor nicely.
my .63 had full boost by 4,500 rpms. you might see a 500 to 1,000 rpm improvement on spool time on a built motor with the .48, but on a stock block it wouldn't hardly make a difference. if you plan on building your bottom end in the future the goals for these turbos should be 300 to 350 with the .48
and just under 450 for the .63 exhaust housing.
the .63 on my ride pulled very nicely from the mentioned 4,500 all the way up to 8 grand
Thanks for the replies everyone.

drunkinmaster I still love your car! One of the only 4 door vics ive ever liked. And it f*ckin rips! :alky:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts