Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i know diesel engine oils have higher levels of detergent than oils recomended for good old gasoline guzzlers my engine has 170,000 on it and it needs to last a while, i read a thing in hemmings motor news about a guy who had the original 302 engine in his camaro (lucky bastard) and he wanted to make it last, they recommended he run diesel engine oil for 1500 miles then switch back to his regular oil to clean up deposits. they said its more efficient than a regular flush (one of those additives that you run for ten minutes in your crankcase before changin your oil) im really thinkin about this the theory seems to be pretty solid any thoughts ?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I run Shell Rotella also. I believe the main issue with diesel oils is they wear out the catalytic converters after a while hence why they're not recommended for cars.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
I ran my engines with castrol 15w40, ans run very well since many years. (in summer for sure, winter is too cold)

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
on the other hand ive seen it wipe out mains on higher mileage engines, due to its increased cleaning capabilities.
A lot of synthetics will do that.

That advantage of diesel oils is not the cleaning properties(if that is one), but the higher zinc(ZDDP) content.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
the engine flush he is talking about is running diesel fuel in the crankcase, this will clean the engine out real nice. better than any over the counter flush.

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
the engine flush he is talking about is running diesel fuel in the crankcase, this will clean the engine out real nice. better than any over the counter flush.
works real well for those who ran penzoil back in the day and had miles of gunk...

get the motor to normal temp, drain oil, fill with diesel, and run at varying rpms for about 10 mins, and voila clean engine....repeat if necessary

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ill just do what that mustang dude did and fill it with the good old h20 lol a buddy of mine runs rotella T he argued with me and the other tech students that it was just as good for performance as royal purple lol i dunno about all that but he had the valva cover off after some thousands and that bitch is spotless

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
If you live in a warm climate area, or it's summer, it really helps to run a thicker oil. No matter what the engine. I know people who run Rotella in built truck engines, down to little 1.5L engines. It also helps to quiet down the valvetrain as well.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
i just use deisle oil for a new rebuild, to get whatever they miss out. then 10w30 syn. for me... i dont see running a thicker oil for a high mileage car.. just keep oil in it, and its goos to go.. if the bearings are going to spin, there going to spin no matter what kind of oil you have... regular maintance owns

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Well Im not to worried about my cat so I will stick with the Rotella
you will be when it melts down and causes harsh back pressure :bandito: :bolletje:

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
If you live in a warm climate area, or it's summer, it really helps to run a thicker oil. No matter what the engine. I know people who run Rotella in built truck engines, down to little 1.5L engines. It also helps to quiet down the valvetrain as well.

Try down to 600cc engines ;) A lot of people use Rotella in their bikes.

The Rotella I'm using is 5w-40 synthetic. Supposidly just as good as the heavier diesel oils; I don't think the synthetic comes in anything heavier.

ill just do what that mustang dude did and fill it with the good old h20 lol a buddy of mine runs rotella T he argued with me and the other tech students that it was just as good for performance as royal purple lol i dunno about all that but he had the valva cover off after some thousands and that bitch is spotless
Seems like your buddy is a little more knowledgeable. :p jk

Rotella T is probably the best budget alternative to Mobil 1. Royal Purple could be considered inferior to Mobil 1; even though people see higher gains on the dyno, runner a lighter weight oil would do the same thing(which is how Royal Purple makes power)....Not to mention Royal Purple is known to break down just as fast as conventional oil.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
so i know diesel engine oils have higher levels of detergent than oils recomended for good old gasoline guzzlers my engine has 170,000 on it and it needs to last a while, i read a thing in hemmings motor news about a guy who had the original 302 engine in his camaro (lucky bastard) and he wanted to make it last, they recommended he run diesel engine oil for 1500 miles then switch back to his regular oil to clean up deposits. they said its more efficient than a regular flush (one of those additives that you run for ten minutes in your crankcase before changin your oil) im really thinkin about this the theory seems to be pretty solid any thoughts ?

This merits a slap in the face! You just said a cum-aro(camaro that had a very shitty 305 motor) had a 302 5.0L(the best small block V8...it also helps its a FORD motor), then try to redeem yourself by adding the second quote!!!

:hammer: :barf:GM

And to answer your question, you can. I wouldnt run it forever but more for a cleaner. Then run valvoline or mobil1 full synthetic afterwards. I got 190K on my honda and still going great! Though it has been running synthetic since it was made from honda, the first owner used castrol syntec.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts