Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a del sol with a t3 42 48 on it tuned on crome, and just resently my oil pressure has been decreasing, i pulled 10 psi at idle when i first boosted it (at operating temp) and 80 psi when it was cold. now i was comming home from watching 300 in imax and its sounded like my valves started to tap, very loud sounds like its coming from the driver side, and now my oil pressure gauge is reading almost 3 spi at idle (warm) and 50 (cold), would this be my oil pump or what,

i tried searching but to no avail.

would it gradually die out or fail at once, never had oil pump problems before.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is good on oil level, it has a very slight leak from the return, but its completely miniscule, i am running a mech. type gauge with a copper hard line ( no kinks)

what do you guys think that noise is?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe when i get home...

i dont want to run the car that much, afterall its not really a good sign when it sound like there are washers in my valvetrain :shock:

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
you obviously change the oil regularly right..........

it could just be that the pickup needs to be cleaned and a new oil pickup gasket. or possibly a kink on the oil feed????

·
10,488 Posts
hell, how many miles do you have on the motor? If you got the money replace the pump, clean the pick up really good, new oil pick up and oil pan gasket. maybe fix that oil return leak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the noise is coming from the head as far as i can tell, and if i spun a bearing it would be a little more obvious, does the oil pump usually fail gradually or all at once?

there are 152,xxx miles on the motor, its seen about 1200 miles of boost.

do you guys think the bearing tolerances are out of spec??

·
10,488 Posts
DUDE!!! just replace the pump, front main, oil pan gas. , oil pick up gasket, clean pickup. and know if it's the pump or not.

when you drop the pan, if you see metal shavings then it's prob a bearing, if not your good.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
DUDE!!! just replace the pump, front main, oil pan gas. , oil pick up gasket, clean pickup. and know if it's the pump or not.

when you drop the pan, if you see metal shavings then it's prob a bearing, if not your good.
i would check the oil pump with a feeler gauge before geting a new one. the specs are in all the repair manuals.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
over 150k miles though... might as well replace it.
since there should be no metal to metal contact in the oil pump, there could be other problems in the oiling system. just because the oil pressure is down, that 1 thing does not mean the pump is bad.

I would check the clearances in the pump before spending the money on a new one. after the pump is out, checking it only takes 5-10 min.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts