Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
D16Y8 first off.
Tried adjusting timing and I'm not very well off in this department. Been chasing down a knock sensor error (replaced it) thought hey what the heck I have a timing light just wanted to make sure it wasn't spark knocking?

I mean I have pretty good knowledge when it comes to mechanical things but not like this.
So I jumped the 2 pin got it up to temp hooked the light up to positive and negative terminals and set the advance on the gun to 0° it was off (red mark on pulley) needed to advance it. Went to advance it and the dizzy is completely advanced as far as it could go. (See pics) so I set my light to where I was lined up perfectly with the red mark and it's reading 8° advanced to be on time. With no room for more advancement. (See pics) my question is with the ignition timing this far off do you think it jumped or is off a tooth belt wise or am I just not setting the timing right?

Attachments

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
have you set your mechanical timing to tdc and see where the cam lines up? you may have a another cam gear that wasn't meant to be there....or it could be something like a z6 head on your y8

stock is supposed to be 16* +/- 2* tdc

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/d16y8-ignition-timing-3164918/

Ahhh ok. So I need to set the gun at 0° and get the mark lined with the sight.
I did just adjust the valve lash last weekend and lined up for tdc and the cam was lined with the mark "up" in the 12 position and the two others level with the head. So I'm guessing tdc is correct as well as mechanical timing. I guess I'll have to go back out and make sure I'm doing the process right again. Set the gun at 0° and go from there moving the dizzy until I hit my red mark. Thanks! I'll post back when I get the chance to go mess with it again

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I'm not able to get it into spec with the dizzy it must be off mechanically and I will need to get a belt kit and just replace it. No sense taking the belt off and not replacing it, the tensioner, and the water pump. Am I right?! Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts