Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Figured I would start here. I bough a 96 civic LX. Swapped to a 5-speed ( 40 series Trans) Block date stamp says 10/99 so i assume the engine and trans were swapped at some point. cluster has AT gear range, and there is no TAC. Engine Runs great, No oil smoke, no consumption. Clutch is a stage 2. Has 18" rims, body kit, exhaust.

Owner said its VTEC..engine block says D16Y7. Cars in good shape ( southern car) drives decent. Can i get this to 200 WHP with a turbo setup? Is it worth the money? Or should I just sell it and find a D16y8 and start over?

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
172 Posts
D16Y7 is NOT vtec.
Check for solenoid:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its Y7 All the way. I should of been more specific. Its not Vtec. So should i dump it? and start with a Vtec? Or can i get 200 Whp out of this? Yes, i know there are other threads on here. Just looking for someones honest opinion, who knows these cars.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,296 Posts
do some of your own legwork and do what works best for you. honest opinion? k24

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks For your Reply. Ive been trolling forums, and everyone has a different opinion. ( as they should) From what I gather 200HP is possible, but not much more on stock rods. seems like your laughed right off the message board if you own a Non-Vtec. Screw it, Turbo and if it blows, on to the next.

·
Registered
'97 Honda Civic LX
3 Posts
Do some research. There are so many things you can do with that motor or just swap it for super cheap (over buying a new vehicle) or you can just outright turbo it.

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
883 Posts
What do you want to do with it? If you just want to get to 200HP you will be fine building on what you got. If you really need vtec swap the head.

LX had a tach. I assume the tach was swapped out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts