Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have used Seafoam many times in the past, but that was a different engine.
Tonight I bought a can and 5qt of mobil 1 and decided to run Seafoam before changing oil, I put 1/3 through the oil cap, and then I started my car up with the vacuum hose or w/e undone. it had weird idle it would go up and down from about 800-1500 or so just up and down idle, then I started to put the Seafoam through the hose and then out of no where my engine is fucking smoking from the front so I shut it off.
My engine is a JDM D15B with 46k miles.

I don't want to try to start my car tonight, it's 11 pm and this happened 1 hour ago, and I don't want my mom to wake up and bitch about the noise.

But it appears it's coming from my header, they look to be cracked and have been for a while, headers ARE Stock.

I have done minimal research so far, going to do more after I post this and hope to get some of your guys opinions, thanks.

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
877 Posts
Seafoam smokes as it exits your tailpipe anyway(unless your someone on here that proved that wrong) so if there are cracks in your header it makes sense it would smoke out that to.

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, I really appriciate the opinions, however is it normal for it to smoke so soon? I put 1/3 in the oil, 2 minutes later fired her up, as I was putting 1/3 through the vacuum hose it started to smoke.

Ok I feeling a little better after thinking about this all...

So just to confirm, smoke from my header was just the smoke that would have exited my muffler too if it wasn't for the crack in header? reps for all.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
So just to confirm, smoke from my header was just the smoke that would have exited my muffler too if it wasn't for the crack in header? reps for all.
yes haha were do you think the smoke goes throught first before the muffler. the header!
and yes it will smoke very quickly!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes haha were do you think the smoke goes throught first before the muffler. the header!
and yes it will smoke very quickly!
Haha yeah man I know... but I just want to confirm I have had this engine for only 4 months, I love it though, can't wait to change my oil and install this header tomorrow morning, I still have the shitty D16y7 exhaust manifold, so it should be quite a difference.

·
Registered
civic
62 Posts
just when you pour it in there don do to much so it makes the car stall. i heard it fucks shit up(throws codes). someone correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea if you've used seafoam so much you'd know that a car is gonna smoke after using it. Sounds normal to me man.
Well I said many, to be exact only 4 times, but this is the first with this new motor, my old engine didn't smoke at all, even doing it correctly and letting it sit for more than 5 minutes, and that motor didn't last but a few months after seafoaming it last. I was just worried is all but seems like it's still a good engine, thanks again.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts

·
Registered
Red EG
189 Posts
engines aren't mysterious things; if it SEEMS ok and responds properly it IS ok.

sounds like you take good care of your vehicles, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
07 Ram Quad Cab 5.7
41 Posts
When I run seafoam through my truck and cars vacuum hose I use an "I V" drip bottle, essentially its a bottle with a hose that plugs to the vacuum hose but there is a valve in the line so that you can reculate the amount of fluid going in to the vacuum hose. I got from working at NTB awhile back. After buying my current civic with 216,000 miles, it smoked like HELL. So like everyone has said, its going to smoke but shouldn't hurt anything.

Aron

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
seafoam is snake oil
totally useless waste of time and money
2x.

I usually just take a big garden hose and feed it into the cylinder head through the oil fill hole. I then proceed to turn the water on for approx. 2-3 minutes to ensure the whole motor is filled properly. At that point, I disconnect my radiator hoses and start the car up.

For some reason though, I've had to rebuild the last few motors I cleaned out. Not sure why. Maybe something in the cleaning process just wears them out?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts