Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my turbo rebuilt used it for a few thousand kms then shelved it until now. i sent off the exhaust housing to have a v-band welded on and have no noticed the blades on the turbine are bent and missing material. The car is was on last ran fine, engine it was on is still in good working order.

It looks to me like a foreign object went through it, but i figure anything big enough to do that would have lunched the motor aswell.

Please let me know what you think caused this damage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the motor is was on before was only running 5psi 210whp, hardly being pushed. guess ill tear the head off tommorow

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all the plugs are fine, from whats visable though the plug hole i cannot see any damage. all intake valves appear spotless. Exhaust ports are a little coked, cylinder four has slightly oily valves stems.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of manifold? If it was weilded and not properly deburred something could fall off.

What brand turbo is it?
It a garrett 57trim. The manifold was a cast splog, this video shows the manifold and turbo right after the turbo was rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Honestly i think your motor is fine but some debris got into your turbo.

·
Registered
789 Posts
That looks like a pretty big piece would have to make its way through to do that kind of damage. What was the reason for having it rebuilt in the first place, did the last engine it was on before the rebuild pop?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Honestly i think your motor is fine but some debris got into your turbo.
Same feeling here, I think you may have had a bolt or nut fall into the turbine where it couldn't be seen before it was installed on the motor. My guess is it got stuck in the volute of the turbine housing and may still be there now.

If it hasn't been long and sideplay is still acceptable, it should be rebuildable. Chances are you can get it fixed with just a turbine wheel & rebalance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks like a pretty big piece would have to make its way through to do that kind of damage. What was the reason for having it rebuilt in the first place, did the last engine it was on before the rebuild pop?
The engine snapped a timing belt to have had to take the head off and replace a valve, while it was off i got a hook up on a turbo rebuild so i took the opportunity to have a fresh turb.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doesnt make sence if you were running a filter...

In the video you have no filter....

That was only a vid of the car immediately after first start, filter was run afterwards. Either way the compressor wheel is fine and anything big enough to cause the damage shown to my turbo would have gotten stuck in the intercooler.

Either somthing got into the wastgate port at some time or the rich tune with an extremely restrictive exhaust overheated the turbine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts