Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi tried posting this in product reviews as makes the most sense to me but was closed... trying to get input on DH Racing in particular looking at 1 of their taper bore throttle bodies.. i currently have a b16 tb but want to try to improve performance a bit more.. like most companies thus far am unimpressed by the responses to my emails to them ( sent 4 times but still never fully answered my enquiries, it seems most aftermarket companies are no better) if i can get some positive input on DH racing would definitely consider them... the other company was considering is BDL industries but are no better in my opinion have sent 2 emails to them and no reply yet! any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Unless you have some serious work done you won't see anything from a larger TB.

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was considering a move to itbs... however dh racing "claims" their throttle body will outperform a itb setup...have asked for proof of this, dyno/ flow charts, magazine tets,etc... their response was because only 1 cylinder is on the intake stroke at any 1 time and because their tb is larger than any used in a itb setup only common sense there is more performance potential...dh racing and bdl industries i believe are the only companies offering a taper bored setup

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have no experience with itbs... but i have my doubts about their theory on this, as on v8 3 2 barrel carbs or 8 individuals carbs offer more performance than a single 4 barrel setup, in terms of throttle response at least... i want to stay obd0 if possible the biggest reason probably concerning something like this as from what i understand itbs virtually require conversion to obd1 just to be able to tune correctly...correct?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
was considering a move to itbs... however dh racing "claims" their throttle body will outperform a itb setup...have asked for proof of this, dyno/ flow charts, magazine tets,etc... their response was because only 1 cylinder is on the intake stroke at any 1 time and because their tb is larger than any used in a itb setup only common sense there is more performance potential...dh racing and bdl industries i believe are the only companies offering a taper bored setup
You need a HUGE TB to back that claim up. You have to take in to account that a single TB has to allow in enough air to fill not only the runner on the intake stroke, but also the plenum and the other runners on there respective strokes. Compare the to 4 throttle plates the same size of the runner that only have to provide air for only 1 cylinder. At lower RPM's it's easy for a single throttle plate to do that, but at higher RPM's it becomes more difficult.

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks did a search basically confirms my thoughts about dh racing... doesn't use a flow bench, poor customer service/ build quality and makes flaudulent claims that can't be backed up...on my do not buy from list now... i guess will continue to look into the bdl tb, haven't heard anything bad about them

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
What are you runnign that makes you think you need a larger TB?

·
Registered
106 Posts
as far as dhracing I have talked to dave on person befor and he explained that with his throttle body you will gain 20-30 horse power but(here's the catch) you will only see thoes #'s with obd1 and with some tuning system. It's not just a bolt on thing and wham you have 30 horse gain. I have 954 itb's on my car and I know I havent gained 30 horses. and if you do decide to get the throttle body from him don't expect to see it for at least 6 months or longer.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
www.maxbore.com jorge is a good guy to deal with. the first time the throttle plate wasn't quite perfect and it idled high. i sent it back to him and he machined a new one for free and it was perfect. been working good ever since.

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as far as dhracing I have talked to dave on person befor and he explained that with his throttle body you will gain 20-30 horse power but(here's the catch) you will only see thoes #'s with obd1 and with some tuning system. It's not just a bolt on thing and wham you have 30 horse gain. I have 954 itb's on my car and I know I havent gained 30 horses. and if you do decide to get the throttle body from him don't expect to see it for at least 6 months or longer.
have u tried/ used his tb? biggest reason i probably am considering this i want to run a itb setup but don't really want to convert to obd1, as my understanding is itbs virtually require obd1 to get running as they should...but looks like i will have to sooner or later

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Your never going to see 30 HP from a TB unless your running a DPFI or even a Y7 IM on a serious N/A or mild turbo setup. Even in that case it's going to be the IM that's chokeing it more than anything. Probebly the 30 HP claim comes mostly from tuneing, not the throttle body. If you run a high compression motor with a large cam on a stock program, then change the throttle body and tune it you can and probebly will gain 30 WHP with no other changes. You can make it look like you gained 30 HP by getting the car hot before dynoing, letting it cool and then re-running it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
to use dh's throttle body you need to use a 92 and up manifold anyway. I have itb's on my car right now and I'm obd0 stock ecu which I'm not getting all the power I should be, because I don't have any tuning capabilitys. I'm not saying you cant use the throttle it but you not going to get 30 hp right off the bat. like dweezil was saying you need to build the motor for na or turbo then the throttle will come in handy. To me right now 300-350(I think thats how much they are)can be used for a motor build or go tward a good diy turbo kit. My friend has his throttle body and had his head ported by dave and he just got his car going so I'll find out how it works. the biggest reason I dont like his stuff is because I did some trade work for him to get my buddies head done, dave said it would take him a month to get the head done, well it took4 months to get it back and I had to bug him almost every day.my friends motor is a jdm b18c type R and dave said he was going to put in better springs and retainers and put in stainless steel valves. when we go it back evert thing was stock, the only thing he did was the port work and swirl polish the valves. I don't like how he does buisness and how he treats people.

·
Registered
276 Posts
DO NOT buy from DHR.
never ever!

they still owe me $1260 dollars not including a d16a6 core that i brought down to them 4-5 years ago when they lived in lancaster ca.
they strung me along for months and even years.

They wouldn't accept anything except cash ( i was too young stupid and way too trusting to know any better) Every single penny i made minus about 25 bucks from my paycheck went to them till they were paid. I brought them the core which i paid for and dropped myself and drove 8 hours (one way) to deliver..A week later I tried getting my money back because it had finally sunk in what big mistake i'd made.
They told me the money was gone and that i couldnt have a refund.

Then months later (they told me it would take 2weeks or less to be finished) after waiting as patiently as I could i hear that they had built and sold my core to someone else.
I was kinda friends with the younger guy (there were only 2 at that time) and over and over i heard him bitching about people riding his and dave's ass about being slow shipping shit out. I remember it took them like 2 months to ship out a flywheel to this guy once who had made clear that he was waiting and needed it asap.

anyway they don't know their shit.. like they really don't.. they are very manipulative and will pretty much use scare tactics and talk out there ass throwing bs numbers and figures out (which make you feel like they know better than you and you're stupid for doubting them) to keep your money and keep you from backing out.. at least thats what they did with me.

Don't listen to their bullshit. its totally a scam. I even have a saved email where they state that the reason they wanted cash was so they wouldnt have to pay taxes on it.

For TBs look at Maxbore.
Hope this helps you and anyone else considering DHR.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
DO NOT buy from DHR.
never ever!

they still owe me $1260 dollars not including a d16a6 core that i brought down to them 4-5 years ago when they lived in lancaster ca.
they strung me along for months and even years.

They wouldn't accept anything accept cash ( i was too young stupid and way too trusting to know any better) Every single penny i made minus about 25 bucks from my paycheck went to them till they were paid. I brought them the core which i paid for and dropped myself and drove 8 hours to deliver..A week later I tried getting my money back because it had finally sunk in what big mistake i'd made.
They told me the money was gone and that i couldnt have a refund.

Then months later (they told me it would take 2weeks or less to be finished) after waiting as patiently as I could i hear that they had built and sold my core to someone else.
I was kinda friends with the younger guy (there were only 2 at that time) and over and over i heard him bitching about people riding his and dave's ass about being slow shipping shit out. I remember it took them like 2 months to ship out a flywheel to this guy once who had made clear that he was waiting and needed it asap.

anyway they don't know their shit.. like they really don't.. they are very manipulative and will pretty much use scare tactics to keep your money and keep you from backing out.. at least thats what they did with me.

Don't listen to their bullshit. its totally a scam. I even have a saved email where they state that the reason they wanted cash was so they wouldnt have to pay taxes on it.

For TBs look at Maxbore.
Hope this helps you and anyone else considering DHR.
thats why i said search this site. one of my first posts was asking about them because i was going to buy an engine from them. from what the replies where i dropped them fast because people know their shit here:TU:.

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the posts... definitely NOT getting the DH racing tb now..no one has experience with bdl tbs? does maxbore clean the exterior of the tbs? got 1 from someone else they said clean the exterior but when i got they didn't refused to take it back to clean... it looks like my best option is to just get itbs and hopefully can find a way to tune them... high compression na build if that helps thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts