Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you determine minimum piston face-to-cylinder head quench pad distance at static state, for dynamic use? I like for the pistons to "kiss" the head when at max RPM. I've only ever done builds by conservative suggestions.

·
Registered
133 Posts
hey idk man, but dont push it to hard or the piston and the head are gonna start having sex if you know what i mean.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
clay the motor

·
Registered
873 Posts
it's a NASCAR engine build practice iirc.

Been thinking on doing a Y8 build with PM3 (30.7mm c.h.) pistons lately (with reworked valve reliefs of course).
That's roughly .026" on the negative / above deck.
Put a gasket somewhere in the .075"s to get a .048" p/h clearance for rod stretch.. then i'd expect lips to lips.

This is all just visuals and math as far as I'm concerned. It's all hypothetical so i'm open for comments on it..

Bone, you there?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
clay is your friend, then factor in rod stretch.

but also measure how far the piston is sticking up, DO NOT really SOLELY on the compression calcs.

Also I suggest making sure the deck of the block is square before trying to kiss the pistons, the head will need each chamber cc'd to ensure even sizes.

Also note this won't be a good idea for a street motor. That .020" at street rpm = a little carbon buildup, go for max rpms and kiss kiss bang bang, game over.

some pics to look over

R5671A's????? Wait, don't I use them in a Honda?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it that the head is re-pinned, and moved? Or that it's re-machined to use a smaller plug? Oh, and I like how he used honda bearings!

Would the manufacturer have the stretch specs? Or is it a "trial and error" knowledge?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
So a BBC shares the same rod journal size with a Honda huh? A realiative of mine competed in that competition last year.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
look at the carbon "ring" which is a natural step for anti reversion.

Enlarging the ports like Tony wanted to do would have meant losing the D shaped floor, bigger but likely no increase in flow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
clay is your friend, then factor in rod stretch.

but also measure how far the piston is sticking up, DO NOT really SOLELY on the compression calcs.

Also I suggest making sure the deck of the block is square before trying to kiss the pistons, the head will need each chamber cc'd to ensure even sizes.

Also note this won't be a good idea for a street motor. That .020" at street rpm = a little carbon buildup, go for max rpms and kiss kiss bang bang, game over.

some pics to look over

R5671A's????? Wait, don't I use them in a Honda?

Is that a P29 next to a PM3?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts