Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of plastigage denting engine bearings?

I got some cheap-o bearings from a company called 'Rock'.

I checked all the bearing thicknesses beforehand, then plastigaged. The plastigage left a slight groove in the bearing, and this groove causes an air bubble in the assembly lube I used, not to mention makes the crank super-difficult to turn.

what the fuck? anyone else ever experience this?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
wtf ?

·
Registered
553 Posts
did your clearances check out ok? are you torquing to the proper spec?(too much maybe). after you plasti-gauge, it should be able to be scraped off with your finger nail.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
edit:

room temperature (22*C)
torqued to b18a1 main cap specs
oil clearances came out beautifully right in the middle of honda's range. .0012"
i scraped them with a credit card

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I would contact the company that sold you the bearings and ask them what they would like to do about it.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
plastiguage does get old and hard. then it doesnt work right, fact

but i cant imagine it getting old and dry as steel, even soft bearings

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol, well. I contacted the guy who sold them to me and he's shipping out another full set.

the softness of the bearings shouldn't be an issue, as the load zone for plastigage is much smaller than the load zone for a crank, and they have decent oil paths and a great surface finish.

I checked them all out, no coating to speak of.

Also, I'd like to throw a +rep to ebay member flashaccounting for his quick reply and offer to replace the bearings free of charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts