Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So living in Washington, I personally walked into Delta Cam and hand delivered my cam and told them I wanted the 272-2 cam. Cam was in great condition clean in a towel in oil. Dropped it off Tuesday.

Said it would be done "Thursday Friday-ish"

Next Wednesday I Called and said "Hey Just wondering what's up?"

Said "Oh it's done come in."

Picked it up and they charged 165 for the grind. Brought $181. Just a random amount I had. Charged $180.50. Thought they would be more inclined to do a cash deal but I guess not. Gave me a shirt though... It was just grey and it said "Delta Cam (Address, Phone Number)"

No Pictures, just text. A plain grey with a little blue text on the left chest.

So I walked out with my cam, T-Shirt and my 50 Cents.

Took it home and opened the box and looked closely at it under my bright lights and see it covered in hair, fuzz dirt and engine oil. I have also noticed little rust streaks under the oil that I do not feel at all or rub off.

Also when I got it back I noticed these little two concave indents that looks like it was touched up with a grinder. Below is a picture. Surface is smooth with indents

Now I have to clean it somehow maybe in the solvent tank then in oil.

Make your own opinions! I just shared my experience of an in-person transaction.

Also I asked about shims and he said no, just make sure you adjust your valve lash to
.006 int
.008 exh.

So that's all!

·
Administrator
Honda
6,992 Posts
Have any "before" pictures?
see it covered in hair, fuzz dirt and engine oil.
Normal +++ The oil is there to keep the rust away ;) It just happens to attract everything else. Shims are overrated :p

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I understand what the oil is for, just found it peculiar that the lobes were rusted and that I received the cam unclean.

Also, I did not take pictures of the cam because it was undamaged and didn't think to photo it at every possible angle.

I believe the marks are not optimal although it should not cause excessive wear due to the absence of material rather than something to catch on.

I do have some concern over the oil seal possibly not sealing completely though.

And curious why those marks were made when my cam had no surface flaws to begin with.

Anyhow.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Did you talk to Jon about your concerns before posting here? In my experiences, he has gone above and beyond to make sure I was satisfied with every aspect of the transaction. If you have a concern, call him.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Are you sure it is your own cam core? As in, sure that your core was not mixed up with someone else's while in storage? Rust takes a little time to form, it won't happen in a couple of days.

Talk to Jon. See what he says about your concerns.

I didn't get the part where you were charged extra. Any explanation given for that? Did you end up paying by cash or cc?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I expected the Cam grind to be 165, but I didn't expect them charging me tax with cash but legally they have to I guess.

Just was an unexpected expense.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah I've been buying online a lot lately, and used to machine shops doing cash deals.... No names lol, But I'm not griping, was just like "Oh shit, I forgot" when he said 180.50, and was glad I had 181.

I called and talked to him and he acted as if he knew what I was talking about, so I assume he did. I voiced my concern about oil leakage and he said, "It was to prevent oil leakage."

I didn't know that, and not sure how that works, but that's what he said!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He said that those were there to help oil seal. I have no idea how. That's what he told me multiple times. So I was like, "Alright" because I didn't know anything about it.

Figure I'll just run it.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
He said that those were there to help oil seal. I have no idea how. That's what he told me multiple times. So I was like, "Alright" because I didn't know anything about it.

Figure I'll just run it.
They are, I've seen them all the time. They are little grooves for the cam seal "lip" to pop into. Honda did it from the factory, so they did it for a reason.

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Isnt it all labor so there shouldnt be tax? U didnt buy any parts from them
I would assume that the cost of the cam regrind isn't just the labor itself, its the cost of wear and tear for machines/tools, which cost money and are taxed.

Though my dad owns a roofing company and doesn't have to pay tax on wood and stuff because its for the business, which i don't fully understand, but i'm not an accountant.

But when i lived in AK and came to washington to visit, i never had to pay tax on school clothes because i wasn't a resident of WA, i just showed my AK id and signed a form for tax exempt.

Oh, and to the OP, if he told you your cam is fine, its fine. He's a very nice guy and helps the d-community, and we help him. I don't think he'd try to screw you. And if he did, you probably brought him the wrong beer.:roll:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts