Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody had any experience with their cams. if so which cam, and how well did it perform. they make three different ones. 260,272,282.

ryan

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do. just thought i would ask real quick on my way out the door.

ryan

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,641 Posts
one thing about Delta, I've never heard a bad thing about them, thats speaks volumes!

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they said you dont need to upgrade your springs and retainers on any of there cams for the y7 because they dont do a whole lot to the lift. how far can i rev the stock valvetrain. will any other springs fit in the dseries head, like bseries. anyone have stock z6 or y8 springs for sale.

·
Registered
1995 Honda CIvic LX
1,050 Posts
Ryan buddy you're killing me. I don't think anything past 7500 will be of any benefit. I know there's a billion topics on this, but I can't remember. Bones will remind me.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have read all three pages of delta topics that came up, but none addressed what rpm the stock valvetrain could withstand. delta just said i didnt need springs and retainers with any of their regrinds for the y7. so maybe that means the usable power bands of all the cams are in safe rpm opperating range of the stock components. i dont think the 282 is that big. they say you can run the 272 on the stock ecu. they told me, that the 260 has roughly 10deg more duration. 272 has 15deg, and 282 has 20deg more than stock. lift only changes by .035" on the big cam. so all they really do is add duration. does anyone know the powerbands of the cams. i didnt see that in all my reading either, but i could have overlooked it.

·
Registered
1995 Honda CIvic LX
1,050 Posts
I can't remember, but I know bones has mentioned max rpm's on stock valvetrain. I was thinking it was 7500 but i'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
max on stock valvetrain is whatever your shit revs to STOCK imo.. im running a stage 3 cam on stock valvetrain with no problems... rev to 7800 every once in a blue moon but usually keep it under 7k actually... thats going to change soon

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats encouraging. 7800 should be plenty high enough. even 7500 should be high enough. only things i am missing is higher compression and a ported head. i have all the bolt ons to help it breath. how is your drivability with the 282. is yours a daily driver. what is your gas mileage.

ryan

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
You would probably be better off calling them and asking.

The guy at delta I talked to said the 272 was good to 7200 . . .

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
the 272 was good to 7200 . . .
i own a 272, i haven't installed yet or ran it. but i feel anything beyond 7200 is a waste of time. unless your car is build for hi-rev and keeping it in the statosphere rev it's makes now sense, but as a double sword there are always exceptions to the rule. but in the real world we know that hi reving on the road will get you pulled over and labeled a ricer. so try to use some common sense.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it looks like i might be getting the built z6 i bought after all. i was going to build what i have when i could never get ahold of the guy i bought it from, but he actually called me back last night. it should run way better than my motor with a cam any day. thanks for all the help guys. this forum is one of the best out there.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
272 is for daily driver who want more pep, but actually I want more, not enough lift (.357 it's like oem vtec cam) and duration for me, pulll nice 4500-6500, but past it, nothing. I order 282 with .400 lift, It should be better to 7400 but I'll need some minor valve springs upgrades.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts