Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been collecting parts for my turbo build since a couple of months now. The only 2 cam makers that I have any interest in are Delta and Bisimoto. Since a Delta regrind costs somewhere in the region of 130-170 USD depending on your choice of grind, it works out to be very cost effective. And their customer service is supposedly awesome. I wish to go with a Bisimoto 3.6 one day, but until finances do not permit me, I'd like to atleast go with something that's better than stock

I haven't found any real reviews of their cams though. Either it's non-Honda stuff or Dynobutt readings. I figure that they'll probably be worth the price they charge for their services, but having a dyno chart would be great.

So does anyone have any good reviews or dyno charts of Delta's cams? I'll be doing a Y8 regrind and the highest they offered me was a 272 profile. They supposedly don't weld material on the cam for bigger profiles, but I've heard them doing that before. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I am running a Delta 272 z6 grind and I love it. Ran a stock cam around town at 15psi, then swapped in the Delta, and it definitely pulls much better when VTEC engages. First sohc VTEC I've driven that you can really FEEL engage. I have no experience with Bisi cams, I just go with what fits my budget. Delta is affordable, and they work.

I will be writing a review once I hit the dyno, but I have no tentative date for that yet.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Delta don't do hard weld profiles for Honda cams, they just have the two profiles. They might do it as a custom job but the 272 is a good cam on its own.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. Waiting to see your dyno results Ryan.

How is the powerband and till what RPM does it keep making power? I plan to rev the car to around 8.5k RPM.

And finally, when the cam is returned to you, has it been treated in any way apart from the grinding? As in, does the cam look like new or still have scuffed lobes from wear?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Cam looks new when it gets back to me.

The car idles like stock, cruises around town like stock, and I spool a CDM t3/t4 .63/.50 to 17psi by 4200rpm. Trip across the state I managed 38.8mpg(street-tuned)

This isn't the first Delta I've ran either. I also ran their d16a6 272 grind and had good results with that as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
And finally, when the cam is returned to you, has it been treated in any way apart from the grinding? As in, does the cam look like new or still have scuffed lobes from wear?
If you go to Delta's website and watch the videos, they explain the entire process; the process they show is on subaru cams, but the principle is the same.

They treat every cam after it has been reground.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I am running a Delta 272 z6 grind and I love it. Ran a stock cam around town at 15psi, then swapped in the Delta, and it definitely pulls much better when VTEC engages. First sohc VTEC I've driven that you can really FEEL engage. I have no experience with Bisi cams, I just go with what fits my budget. Delta is affordable, and they work.

I will be writing a review once I hit the dyno, but I have no tentative date for that yet.
How much total was it to get that Delta cam done? You just send them the stock and they do a regrind Right? Im not trying to drop 4 bills on a damn cam ya know!

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, you just send your stock cam to them and they grind it and send it back to you. They quoted me something like 135 USD for a 260 profile and 165 for a "hot street" which would be a 272 profile I guess.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Cynide close your eyes and go for it man.
For that price you cant go wrong.

These numbers look ok to me.
Delta
Intake & Exhaust
lobe center sep = 117.8 cam deg
valve overlap = -35.3 crank deg

Intake
valve opening = -17.6 'BTDC
lobe center = 120.1 'ATDC
valve closure = 30.2 'ABDC
duration = 192.5 crank deg
max cam lift = .22575 in.
net valvelift = .31605 in.
lobe 'area' = 16.73 in * deg

Exhaust
valve opening = 41.3 'BBDC
lobe center = 115.4 'BTDC
valve closure = -17.6 'ATDC
duration = 203.6 crank deg
max cam lift = .2478 in.
net valvelift = .34691 in.
lobe 'area' = 19.19 in * deg

this is the kind of cam I would recomend to somebody on a budget and who didnt want to spend money on stuff like valve springs and retainers.
I would not take my reves past 7500 RPM though I where you.
Till you get better internals. At least not on our gas.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you go to Delta's website and watch the videos, they explain the entire process; the process they show is on subaru cams, but the principle is the same.

They treat every cam after it has been reground.
Oh, yeah. Had missed that section completely. Anyways, their email support is BAD. I sent them 2 emails, a week apart. Received a reply another week after my second email. Did a bit of back-n-forth that day and no replies since then.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cynide close your eyes and go for it man.
For that price you cant go wrong.

These numbers look ok to me.
Delta
Intake & Exhaust
lobe center sep = 117.8 cam deg
valve overlap = -35.3 crank deg

Intake
valve opening = -17.6 'BTDC
lobe center = 120.1 'ATDC
valve closure = 30.2 'ABDC
duration = 192.5 crank deg
max cam lift = .22575 in.
net valvelift = .31605 in.
lobe 'area' = 16.73 in * deg

Exhaust
valve opening = 41.3 'BBDC
lobe center = 115.4 'BTDC
valve closure = -17.6 'ATDC
duration = 203.6 crank deg
max cam lift = .2478 in.
net valvelift = .34691 in.
lobe 'area' = 19.19 in * deg

this is the kind of cam I would recomend to somebody on a budget and who didnt want to spend money on stuff like valve springs and retainers.
I would not take my reves past 7500 RPM though I where you.
Till you get better internals. At least not on our gas.
Where did you get those specs? lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
Oh, yeah. Had missed that section completely. Anyways, their email support is BAD. I sent them 2 emails, a week apart. Received a reply another week after my second email. Did a bit of back-n-forth that day and no replies since then.
how long ago? they are/were moving into a new place if i recall.

The owner Jon floats around here on the D as well, but hasn't been as active of late, my guess is they are still getting situated.

that said i'm having a 260 done for the b7 and i'm debating between a 260 and 272 for the z6

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how long ago? they are/were moving into a new place if i recall.

The owner Jon floats around here on the D as well, but hasn't been as active of late, my guess is they are still getting situated.

that said i'm having a 260 done for the b7 and i'm debating between a 260 and 272 for the z6
This whole of August basically. IIRC, they moved a while ago.

·
Registered
Mitsu, Subie, others
496 Posts
yes dear ? LOL

Yes we are in the new building ! however, I have over a million cam cores to clean and sort, scrap out and get organized in our core storage area.

As we are not paid vendors on this site yet, I can't promote our product. we will host a small meat and greet ! burgers and such !

4 kids, and 4 business keeps me very busy. And to top that a douche in a f150 slammed my wife at 40mph when she was sitting at a stop light. $4800 damage to her 04 civic ; (
6 days in the hospital later.

Anyway I will be here more often now as we get in the new shop and more organized. Your patients is GREATLY appreciated.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes dear ? LOL

Yes we are in the new building ! however, I have over a million cam cores to clean and sort, scrap out and get organized in our core storage area.

As we are not paid vendors on this site yet, I can't promote our product. we will host a small meat and greet ! burgers and such !

4 kids, and 4 business keeps me very busy. And to top that a douche in a f150 slammed my wife at 40mph when she was sitting at a stop light. $4800 damage to her 04 civic ; (
6 days in the hospital later.

Anyway I will be here more often now as we get in the new shop and more organized. Your patients is GREATLY appreciated.
Damn, hope everything's fine man. I'll shoot a few basic questions to confirm everything.

Can you PM me prices for a 260 and 272 grind for a Honda D16Y8 cam? With and without supplied core.

Any conditions regarding the state of the core when I send it? It won't be broken or anything, but what about the amount of wear on the lobes?

Quote for shipping the cam back to 43137 (Lockbourne, OH) and Mumbai, India? Deciding whether to get it shipped to my holding station or to India directly depending on shipping cost. Which company do you send it by?

What's the process for sending it over? Can I just put in a note with my name and cam details in the parcel and send over the money by Paypal? I live in India, so I will just buy a Y8 cam from someone in the US and get it shipped directly to you guys. Works out cheaper that way.

Thank you. And congratulations on moving to a bigger area :)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
John I sent you an e-mail but didnt hear back.
Could you PM me a list of profiles you offer both for Vtec and non vtec.
And also for turbo / NA
Im interested in max lift you offer with lowest durations.
We are putting together a Cam shoot out. For our B15c2 engines.
Ive already ordered the BISI, Blox, Crower etc. One from you would be nice too.

Hook my buddy Cynide up with something wicked for a NA street build. We may use his cam if I cant get thru to you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts