Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im getting a new cam for my daily driver hatch & want the best bang for my buck. i searched on several forums but couldnt get any straight opinions on this one since i am a non-vtec set up. i have no head work done beyond mild port matching. which would be a better fit for my set up?

the setup:

y7 block/y7 head
weapon r secret weapon intake (cant recommend enough to alllll of you)
y8 intake mani/throttle body a
megan 4-2-1 header
megan 2.25 cat back
msd lines
afpr

delta quoted me a little over one hundtred & bisimoto is about 250 shipped. both are regrinds so are there any people who can give me some sound advice as far as the cam goes? will the extra money be worth it with bisimoto on the 272? bear in mind im gonna head for a dyno tune immediately after i get it installed.

thanks & good day.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see thats the thing, im a big backer of bisi and what he does but ive been leaning toward delta cuz i hear nothing but good things about them, its economical and this is just a DD so...damn im terrible @ making decisions. :)
plus im a staunch believer in the tune making the biggest difference

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
see thats the thing, im a big backer of bisi and what he does but ive been leaning toward delta cuz i hear nothing but good things about them, its economical and this is just a DD so...damn im terrible @ making decisions. :)
plus im a staunch believer in the tune making the biggest difference
just buy both cams do a back to back comparison and see witch one is better then sell the other one :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im hearin lotsa delta love out there...ill prob go with the 272. prob the best bang for the buck on my DD

·
Registered
1988 CRX
544 Posts
You'll hear lots of love for both. From what I understand though, Bisi uses fresh billet while Delta is a regrind. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Canihazmoniez
683 Posts
Honestly if they have the same specs go for the cheaper one more than a handful of people can vouch for the quality of Delta, and while Bisi might be an awesome cam... for the price is it worth just a name

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
A regrind is perfectly fine if done correctly.

The typical disadvantage is to get the extra lift and duration, they might have a very small base circle which increases wear rate and can upset rocker arm geometry a bit.

Another way to get the extra lift is to weld up the lobe with hard face overlay. If dome correctly this is actually better than a billet, but it MUST be done correctly.

Can you at least look at both before you buy. I would be inclined to not buy a cam with a noticeably smaller base circle.

I would be inclined to buy one with a hard face overlay so long as the overlay was an abrupt change to thick overlay rather tan it being blended in gradually as the very thin edge can flake.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Don't think there are any dyno tests on the Delta 272. You might find some dyno result on Bisimoto's forum of his cam probably. My delta 272 regrind (vtec) should be at my doorstep in 4-5 days, pretty stoked about that :D

Go with Delta.

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
Wooow. It must be the season. There are a ton of 272 reviews.

Basically the delta 272 and bisimoto stage 2 are very close. The base circle on our heads isn't very small with that grind (not enough to worry). As far as I know bisimoto uses web cams to do their work so the specs are similar in the way they are machined. Even though specs are measured at different degree's.

I would go delta. From what I've seen delta provided 18-20% gains. Bisimoto was closer to 26-28%. But they are different states and dynos also. This is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all good advice guys. i think im goin with the delta 272...i figure both are regrinds so i might as well pay less and get similar results. patprimmer your post was legit...major rep man, u got some knowledge and ill def check into that. and since bisi tunes on the dynopack and any of the tests i have seen were on the mustang dyno for deltas 272 im betting the hp/tq gains are similar. ive seen 15-20% over stock for bisi and 12-18% from delta from what i have looked up. ill focus on getting a good tune out of it and call it a day. thanks d-fam. rep for all.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Dynos can vary quite a bit for many reasons including manner of operation. Tests are only really valid if done back to back by an independent or disinterested party with the same engine with the one component changed or back to back against a std known dyno mule engine.

Also even back to back can be missleading as one cam might suite a ported head and the other might suit a std head, or one might suit a different compression, so which is best may depend on engine specs and how good the tune was for each.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,249 Posts
So Pat, would you by a new cam that by design had a smaller base circle which led to LMA/tappet follower noise?

Bullfrog/Gude and JGE had issues way back with the regrinds not being hardened and the lobes going flat.

WebCamsInc didn't have that problem which is why Bisi chosse them for his personal stuff 10+ years ago. They, WebCams have been good to aircooled VW's and us imports.

Personally with "hot" regrinds I don't like the ramp rates. When a cam is reground the whole base circle is not changed so the valve at first SLOWLY comes off the seat but then snaps open. I have my personal ideas about this.

Thanks to BigTuna for the insight....it taught me alot.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Bone

I always look for a bigger base circle if possible.

A back grind regrind can be OK so long as they do the complete profile and the base circle is not to small and of course the cam is hardened and nitrided or Parkerised.

I have no idea which has the biggest base circle between Delta and Bisi that is why I suggested that they should try to asses that aspect if they could see the cams. I have no idea if Delta or Bisi have different heat treatments and coatings. That is why I always said if done correctly.

I would hope that both suppliers would supply specs re base circle size and hardness, but from recent discussions I doubt the info will be available.

I have run lots of different types of cams over the years including on old VWs. Some where great, some where underwhelming. The small base circle ones where disappoint. I had one hard face overlay grind that made 130hp in my wife's mums taxi/daily driver. It was one of the best flat tappet cams I ever had.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Didn't know Bisi offered a "272", but I do believe Bisi offered regrinds. Before offering new cores he had stock cams hardwelded and then reground for "hot" profiles. I don't think Bisi controls the treatment of the cams but just designs the profiles(I believe all his cams come from WebCamshafts); taking that into consideration Web is VERY knowledgeable and I haven't heard any problems coming from there. Coincidentally, Web's regrinds cost around $260.

That being said; haven't heard issues from Delta either and seems to work for a lot of people. If the profiles are the same or similar, and there's no known issues with either, I'd go for the cheaper. If you're looking to upgrade then of course, Bisi/Web would be a better choice.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
if the base circle is to small to support proper valve train geometry then use lash caps to put everything back to were it should be, thats probably what im gonna have to do with my delta 282 non vtec cam

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
That fixes the geometry, but does not replace the lost bearing area for the follower.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts