Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright everyone i just got a 1995 del sol d16z6
turbo i have no clue what brand, anything kid i got the car from said everything is new the motor only has 3k, so he says, now the car burns oil and it does it sometimes at acceleration so wat im thinking its the piston rings right so how cant it only have 3k?...anyway he told me it runs at 10lbs boost, gauge is only showing 5lbs, theres no weird sounds coming from the motor or turbo, mayb the gauge is wrong? theres no boost controller on it, this is my first turbo car so if anyone can give me some info on what i should do or check i will greatly apprecitate this im goin to afghanistan in may (marines) and would like to get this thing good be4 i leave, any info will be greatly appreciated thanks guys hope to hear some of your information

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Rule number 1. Know what your buying before u buy it.
With that said, there is no telling what is up. Turbo seals could be gone,piston rings gone, blow by. Also on the psi it could mean the tune is crap, boost leak, the turbo is failling/breaking, or gauge f'd up.

Rule number 2. Build not brought. You know what went into it.
That kid could of lied to u. Sold u a half working kit with no motor work. Hell the injectors could be stock.

And isnt the war over? I dont keep up with that stuff

I say post some pictures of the turbo kit on the car. And then do a compression / leakdown test on the motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1995 del sol
d16z6
5 speed

eagle pistons and rods
walbro 255 fuel pump
new alternator
new battery

155k on shell
>3k on engine
45k on trans
extra turbo

custom turbo kit on 10 pounds

thats some info the kid put online, the injectors aren't stock i looked at them today he said they were different ill have to get some pics for you guys, i appreciate the info, how do you do the compression and leak test?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Im replying from my cell but u can google " how to do a compression test honda" that should bring up some youtube vids and some step by steps. But u gotta buy or rent a tester. You crank the motor over and see what psi u read on the compression gauge. Too low and u probably have ring failur.

And i tend not to believe what i cant see and tell. So how do u know he didnt lie about the motor build? Ive seen it happen all to many times.

·
Registered
95 del sol turbo
305 Posts
Each cylinder should be within 10-15 psi of each other when you test it. The tester is like 30-40 bucks at autozone.

The manifold is not really gonna work right. The wastegate should be in the middle of the manifold so it can control all 4 runners. As it is now it can only regulate one runner.

Also about what RPM are you when you start seeing the smoke come out. You may just need to restrict the oil more but there is so many other things it can be as well. If it is the turbo getting to much oil or if its blown you should see some oil in the intercooler piping b4 the intercooler.

·
Registered
del sol
158 Posts
1. What kind of oil was used for the break In Of said motor.
2. How long dis he wait before boosting brand new motor
3. Please specify what turbo you have looks to be a 14b (mitsu)
4. Do the compression check before you beat on it.
5. Boost leak test they sell a tester on eBay for 10$
6. Learn how a turbo works how a blow off valve works how your whole car as a system works.
7. is the blow off valve recirculated
If you do all of thoes things you will be fine

·
Registered
838 Posts
1. What kind of oil was used for the break In Of said motor.
2. How long dis he wait before boosting brand new motor
3. Please specify what turbo you have looks to be a 14b (mitsu)
4. Do the compression check before you beat on it.
5. Boost leak test they sell a tester on eBay for 10$
6. Learn how a turbo works how a blow off valve works how your whole car as a system works.
7. is the blow off valve recirculated
If you do all of thoes things you will be fine
Why does that matter? No MAF no worries.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Im pretty sure you need to recirculate the air for emissions and it helps keep boost up between shifts. Mines runnin open at this time to.
False, the more efficient the BOV lets the air out the better for boost pressure. If the BOVs got a tiny hole to releave pressure aside from making noise it's not doing much (that's why the tial 50mm is so popular) the more the thing can let out the more RPM the turbo can maintane between shifts.

·
Registered
del sol
158 Posts
Just a note, Y2KY Jelly is best.

Being Y2K compliant, it allows you to insert 4 digits where only 2 would go before!
That has nothing to do with the op's thread ( a pointless post)
And to as any novis mechanic know that you should use conventional oil for a Breslin or risk the rigs not seating properly

·
Registered
838 Posts
Lol so how was i wrong. If your that worried about you can just wot shift.
Recirculating acts as a small air break. Slow down the turbo kill the boost.

·
Registered
95 del sol turbo
305 Posts
I was saying if you take the bov and direct the air coming out back into the intake b4 the turbo it will help keep the turbo seeing airflow. It probably wont do much as most will flow out the intake between shifts.

Your right though you want to get the air out of the piping quicker so the turbo doesn't see back surge.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I was saying if you take the bov and direct the air coming out back into the intake b4 the turbo it will help keep the turbo seeing airflow. It probably wont do much as most will flow out the intake between shifts.

Your right though you want to get the air out of the piping quicker so the turbo doesn't see back surge.
Correct it will likely go out the intake but I guess every little bit helps, but I will vote a good BOV and flat foot shifting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts