Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so 99% of the threads I have found regarding this seat application don't have any pictures that work anymore because of how old they are. The one tutorial I found on d-series required the use of a welder, that is beyond me.

I'm trying a seat pan swap, but I'm not really sure what all is involved.

I picked up a clean pair of del sol seats for cheap so please don't suggest I use a different seat. I like them, and I have them, end of story.

Okay here goes my attempt at tech:

First, the picture of the clean pair of Del Sol seats. No rips or tears, they need a little cleaning, but there is only dust, no stains.

Seat with bottom removed:

So basically, the slider on the side with the seat lean back lever comes off with bolts, and the slider on the opposite side seems to have irremovable studs holding it on...

am I supposed to take off what would in this picture be the top rail and replace it with the Crx piece, then change the seat pan bottoms? I'm kind of confused.

This I think will be the easier part, it's just undo the rings and rering them on the other seat pan right?

I've searched on several forums, couldn't find very much useful information most of the threads were either about s2k seats, or didn't have the pics working anymore.

My question I guess is, what do I do next?

I'm willing to put in the work, just need a little direction.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Seat pan swap = a seat pan swap. You're overthinking this.

What to to do next: start taking the seat pans on the crx seat and sol seat apart.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, I just don't want to rip apart the passenger seat that is currently in my car that I'm using every day until I'm certain of how to do this.

So, which reclining mechanism do I use? The Del Sol one, or the Crx one? I'm kind of lost.

·
11,892 Posts
Yah, I just don't want to rip apart the passenger seat that is currently in my car that I'm using every day until I'm certain of how to do this.

So, which reclining mechanism do I use? The Del Sol one, or the Crx one? I'm kind of lost.
Um, if you use the crx seat pan then you use that reclining mechanism.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I can't just swap out the bottom seat pan and bolt the top seat half to the crx pan? I have to swap out the upper seat frame as well? Does anyone know if I'll be able to put the del sol head rests on the crx seat frame? I can't get them to move at all.

·
11,892 Posts
So, I can't just swap out the bottom seat pan and bolt the top seat half to the crx pan? I have to swap out the upper seat frame as well? Does anyone know if I'll be able to put the del sol head rests on the crx seat frame? I can't get them to move at all.
No, I'm sorry I had rails in my head for some reason. The only thing you swap is the seat pan.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have the bottom seat pan complete, but the top del sol piece won't bold onto the crx seat pan... Does that mean i'm going to have to move the del sol top foam and cloth to the crx frame? If it does, I'm starting to really hate this. The bottom was straight foward...:3dtard:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
88 CRX (all) and 89 CRX HF use a different seat pan than 89-91.

I just found this out researching old posts from the builder of my CRX.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I've got everything to work, except the hinge for the non reclining lever side. The gap is kinda huge, and try as I might, I can't seem to force this shit together.

Anyone got a solution?

Everything else is finished, and if so, I have all the pictures to put a good write up for this shit, the crx reclining mechanism literally bolts right up. It's crazy.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
Anyone got a solution?
Just use a zip tie, man. Problem solved. ;)

Kidding. Good luck on it. Those seats will look and feel great in a CRX.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem #9634876232:

Completely ignoring the fact that the two halves of the seat are only being held together by the recliner mechanism, I just realized that the first position that the seat locks in actually is somewhere close to if you were laying down...

I guess I could... dremel a new seat position in the gear? Somehow that doesn't sound safe.

I'm really thinking about giving Corbeau a call. This shit is getting rediculous.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts

yup this would be easier on a 89-91 crx si/dx

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Okay, so 99% of the threads I have found regarding this seat application don't have any pictures that work anymore because of how old they are. The one tutorial I found on d-series required the use of a welder, that is beyond me.
No real insights here. I now own the car that was in that tutorial and I don't like how the seats are mounted, so they're on their way out.

yup this would be easier on a 89-91 crx si/dx
OK, SI/DX are the same, '90/'91 are the same, how about Civic vs CRX? I've got a line on some '90 Civic SI seats. Will they fit my '91 CRX DX?

·
11,892 Posts
Alright, I've got everything to work, except the hinge for the non reclining lever side. The gap is kinda huge, and try as I might, I can't seem to force this shit together.

Anyone got a solution?

Everything else is finished, and if so, I have all the pictures to put a good write up for this shit, the crx reclining mechanism literally bolts right up. It's crazy.
AH I did this on 91 si seats, I forgot 88's were different.

Long bolt + washers is what I did to bolt the two parts together FWIW.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
Problem #9634876232:

Completely ignoring the fact that the two halves of the seat are only being held together by the recliner mechanism, I just realized that the first position that the seat locks in actually is somewhere close to if you were laying down...

I guess I could... dremel a new seat position in the gear? Somehow that doesn't sound safe.

I'm really thinking about giving Corbeau a call. This shit is getting rediculous.
i know what you mean bro im going through the same crap. im thinking of going with corbeau or sparco as well. they have both brackets for the car. just expensive lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem with using the long bolt and washers is that the out the outer hole is threaded. So, it's not really going to be any easier seeing as I have to get everything lined up and somehow get the bolt started threading while the seat cushion battles me.

I don't know, but I have to go to class, and I'm not getting out until a good bit later tonight.

Hopefully someone will have come up with something cool, or I will have had a stroke of brilliance.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
No real insights here. I now own the car that was in that tutorial and I don't like how the seats are mounted, so they're on there way out.

OK, SI/DX are the same, '90/'91 are the same, how about Civic vs CRX? I've got a line on some '90 Civic SI seats. Will they fit my '91 CRX DX?
nope civic vs crx seat will need seat pan swap no matter what chassis.

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
I have a similar question what seats will bolt in to an 88 hatch? my seats are pretty well used and i would like some thing a little more comfortable....

·
11,892 Posts
I have a similar question what seats will bolt in to an 88 hatch? my seats are pretty well used and i would like some thing a little more comfortable....

Ref post # 8 and you have your answer. Anything else is custom or halfassed, most of the time halfassed.

·
sprinkle fingers
honda or mustang gt
435 Posts

i just lauged when i seen this seat and read i would like something a little more comfortable... lol thats prob one of the worse seats ive ever seen in a honda lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts