Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a .50/.63ar T3/T4 50 trim on a Vitara Y8 with FJ custom length rods. Ebay cast manifold, 2.5" mandrel bend downpipe, and 2.5" IC piping. Revving to 7400rpm.

I'm seeing 5psi at 5k rpm, 16psi around 5600rpm in 3rd gear. Using a ball-spring type boost controller.

This seems pretty laggy, any suggestions to help me spool faster? Does this seem on-par with where it "should" spool at? I always thought 50 trims were a great turbo for our D16's, with a decent spool up time.

1. Port/deburr cast manifold?
2. Anything my tuner can do to help me spool faster?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
How is your MBC hooked into your setup?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
A turbo blanket and heat wrapping the manifold might help a little bit. Keep those exhaust gasses hotter and faster.

Increase compression. Twin scroll mani and housing.... smaller turbo.

Seems fairly normal to me. That turbo's too big for my taste.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
have you boost leak tested your set-up?

also did you remember your fire ring in your wastegate? <-i did this before and i didnt see full boost to 8k in third(22psi) same thing reaallllly slow to spool, essentaily the wastegate was always a bit open without it.

i have suffered from bothe issues in the past, seems really slow to spool, my hx35 even on my old ramhorn setup spooled faster than that

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is your MBC hooked into your setup?
IM - MBC - wastegate side nipple

add timing in the lower rpm range. it will help spool time.
I will speak to my tuner about this at the next retune.

have you boost leak tested your set-up?

also did you remember your fire ring in your wastegate? <-i did this before and i didnt see full boost to 8k in third(22psi) same thing reaallllly slow to spool, essentaily the wastegate was always a bit open without it.

i have suffered from bothe issues in the past, seems really slow to spool, my hx35 even on my old ramhorn setup spooled faster than that
I haven't boost leak tested it, but I'm using all T-bolt clamps and checked them all before. Fire ring is definitely in.

I thought I'd be spooling faster than I am, with a cast manifold and open downpipe.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
You have to realize you have a low comp engine and there isnt enough bang going on in addition to the 1.6 size.
The .63 is great for flow, but for your application, I wouldve chosen the .48 as its smaller, but not enough to choke the turbo.

A Super 60 will have a better spool time..

So, with that being said, you can use a blanket/heat wrap'd DP and also switch the hotside IC pipe to 2". This will provide slightly less volume for the turbo to fill. It might shave off a couple hundred RPM's on the spool time. Added to the blanket and wrap should be a noticeable increase in spool time

But recheck all couplers, weld as much piping together as you can allowing only enough couplers to remove pipes if needed. This will reduce boost leaks.

I got my piping here if your wanting to switch up.
http://www.votionspeed.com/servlet/the-Aluminum-Intercooler-Piping/Categories

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought if your using the side nipple on the wastegate then u would run the line to some where on the hot side of the I/c piping like right on the turbo housing itself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Remove the head, shave .030 off. Enjoy.
Evans tuning pretty much put this common misconseption to rest. Same exact everything in a gsr just stock on the baseline and a one point drop in compression on the test run. Same boost, lost 10hp and the spool times were not noticeably slower, maybe 50rpm later if that. You won't see sooner spools unless you go extreme with the compression.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Evans tuning pretty much put this common misconseption to rest. Same exact everything in a gsr just stock on the baseline and a one point drop in compression on the test run. Same boost, lost 10hp and the spool times were not noticeably slower, maybe 50rpm later if that. You won't see sooner spools unless you go extreme with the compression.
hes talking about increasing the compression though... not decreasing...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Very laggyy shifting from 2nd to 3rd i lose almost all boost ......i did not have this problem with my ebay 50 trim .63 AR

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
You definitely have an exhaust leak somewhere. Check your gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo. Maybe check the wastegate as well. If any of those have a small leak your turbo will spool extremely slow. I had a 57 trim .63/.60 and I had full boost (20psi) by 4,500 rpms. Have a friend rev your engine while you inspect for leaks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I installed new gaskets and see no sign of exhaust leaks from the manifold. Running open downpipe but if anything that should help my spool.

I will weld a few pipes together, I do have more couplers than necessary. Another thing I noticed is that I have 1-2psi at 3k rpm, but the turbo spools up very slowly. It stays at 1-2psi until past 4k, where it slowly jumps up to 5psi, then goes up to 16psi quickly. Normal or no? Feels like it takes a while to spin up the turbo past 2psi.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts