Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic LX
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay let me start off by saying all help is appreciated and im really in need of some other knowledgable opinions. my car will not hold perfect compression for shit. Its a y7 bottom end with fj i beams, hastings rings, and vitaras. The top end is stock z6 head.

A little over a month ago, i did a pull and heard a POP noise. The car wanted to die and ran very sluggish. i checked compression and only had 90psi in cyl 3. i tore the motor down and rebuilt the bottom end because the stock bottom end i bought to replace it was demolished. everything internal of my bottom end was amazing. no scuffed cylinders, all ringlands intact, and rings looked great.

So i put it back in thinking the head gasket came unsealed(which idk how cause i have arp headstuds with a cometic headgasket). still same compression in cyl 3. so i pull the head again and clean everything. put it back on. same compression. By this time I'm like, okay rings are good and there's no way a cometic failed on 18 psi so I naturally figure valves or seat.

I did a leakdown and could hear air hissing out the exhaust valves. so i buy a used head off a guy on here. put it on and even worse compression! only holding around 50 on 1, 2, and 3 and then 120 on 4. so i pull the head and clean everything, put it back on, same shitty compression just the numbers variated a little. So I pull the head for what the 10th time this week and buy a new headgasket. Put the new headgasket on and still same 50 and 120 compression.

By this time I'm fucking beyond annoyed. this car is a daily driver. And iv had nothing but problems the past month. But anyways I pull the head once again, put my old head on with the new headgasket. And not still not even holding 130 on all the rest like it was before. Getting to a max of like 90.

Iv dumped so much money into this motor that I don't have. I'm getting 5 hours a week @ 7.42 an hour. I have college bills, insurance, and help the gf with rent. On top of it, I don't even have transportation. I know my choices now are to have block and head resurfaced, and have my valves on old head fixed, or just resurface the "new" head. I need opinions. I'm literally broke. Iv never had this much trouble with any motor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did you check to see if your valves are seating correctly? maybe you had some valve float and tagged a piston or something and the other head you bought wasn't really "new". just a thought, especially since your compression numbers changed dramatically when you did the head swap. did you also make sure that your head and block surfaces were flat?

ps- saw your car at Winged Warrior a few months back. Cool to see some locals here on D-series.

·
Registered
94 Civic LX
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you check to see if your valves are seating correctly? maybe you had some valve float and tagged a piston or something and the other head you bought wasn't really "new". just a thought, especially since your compression numbers changed dramatically when you did the head swap. did you also make sure that your head and block surfaces were flat?

ps- saw your car at Winged Warrior a few months back. Cool to see some locals here on D-series.
Yeah I thought about that, I just updated the first post. This motors stressing me and my pocket out. But yeah that was me at winged warrior, car looks completely different now though haha.

·
Registered
94 Civic LX
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A leakdown test is going to be the only effective way to search for your problem.
Iv done it :/ need to do another one.
are the cylinders dry?
drip some oil in each cylinder
They have wd40 so they don't accumulate surface rust, but I haven't tried oil. I'll do it next

·
Formerly weebeastie
937 Posts
Same problem with 2 different heads leads me to believe that either you have timed improperly, or you have a ring problem on cylinder 3. They may look ok, but what is the end gap? The deck could be messed up, but not likely. Also do a liquid test on your old head. Pour liquid into the intake and exhaust ports and see if any leaks by the valves.

My guess is that you have a stuck ring or improperly gapped ring on cylinder 3

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'm confused.

The current bottom end has been freshly rebuilt? If so, have you put any miles on it?

I wouldn't expect awesome numbers unless you have put some miles on it to seat the rings.

Do another leakdown test to verify that your current head is good. I would suggest doing this before you install the cam. It amazes me how many people ship or store SOHC heads with the cam installed. Great way to bend valves by accident.

·
Registered
94 Civic LX
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you may have bent valves.

What are you reving to? stock head? have you checked mechanical timing?
completely stock head, revving to 7400 max. And yeah I have to time this thing every time I put it together. 3 marks on cam gear, one goes at like a 45 degree angle upward and the other 2 completely horizontal aligned with head. Then on bottom, align mark on timing belt sprocket to the arrow on the pump. Approx at another 45 degree angle from being straight up.
Same problem with 2 different heads leads me to believe that either you have timed improperly, or you have a ring problem on cylinder 3. They may look ok, but what is the end gap? The deck could be messed up, but not likely. Also do a liquid test on your old head. Pour liquid into the intake and exhaust ports and see if any leaks by the valves.

My guess is that you have a stuck ring or improperly gapped ring on cylinder 3
Hmm, I guess ill pull the bottom end again if the head passes liquid test. And see above about the timing.
I'm confused.

The current bottom end has been freshly rebuilt? If so, have you put any miles on it?

I wouldn't expect awesome numbers unless you have put some miles on it to seat the rings.

Do another leakdown test to verify that your current head is good. I would suggest doing this before you install the cam. It amazes me how many people ship or store SOHC heads with the cam installed. Great way to bend valves by accident.
its not fresh rebuilt, just been tore apart and checked for damage. It only had around 2k on it when it did this. And yeah I'm going to do another leakdown

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Valve adjustment issue even?

·
Registered
94 Civic LX
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good job man!
Lol, not a good way to get people liking you or to get into the classifieds. Especially when your post doesn't make sense
you need to do a wet compression test to verify its a problem with the rings.
ill that before anything. Here in about 10 minutes.
are you changing the headgasket everytime you tq it down.
rings/headgasket/surface/valves
no as long as the motor has been running, the headgasket iS reusable.
I think someone is trying to post whore to the classifieds.

I would check mechanical timing.
I would also check the p2w clearance in the motor especially in that hole.
I know right lol. And mechanical timing is MAYBE a tooth off, but I really doubt it.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts

·
Registered
92 vx hatch
95 Posts
I think someone is trying to post whore to the classifieds.
Your guess is right. I've had this account for years and have never had to rely on the classifieds section of this site. but i live on the opposite side of the US now. Would rather buy parts from people on D-series than people i don't know on CL.

Lol, not a good way to get people liking you or to get into the classifieds. Especially when your post doesn't make sense
Lol, agreed! I got my wisdom teeth removed and was all over D-series today with my percocet. Definitely post this on the wrong page!

Just by chance, did you check your spark plug for any anomalies?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts