Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get my h-swap in my car. Noticed it was a little sluggish turning over. Granted the battery I was using is 6 years old, so I popped a minty fresh Optima yellowtop in there.

Tried to crank it and it did the same as my old battery, barely turned it and just stopped.

Was looking in the troubleshooting section of one of my tech books and said to crank it with the headlights on and see if the lights cut out. They dimmed a little but didn't cut out.

So far I have:
Replaced the battery
Installed gold-plated battery terminals
cleaned all my hot and ground wires
and cussed a lot.

I'm pretty sure it's the starter but wanted some other insite before I cough up $98 for a starter

·
My 91 Crx Hf
97 Civic Coupe
2,164 Posts
So I get my h-swap in my car. Noticed it was a little sluggish turning over. Granted the battery I was using is 6 years old, so I popped a minty fresh Optima yellowtop in there.

Tried to crank it and it did the same as my old battery, barely turned it and just stopped.

Was looking in the troubleshooting section of one of my tech books and said to crank it with the headlights on and see if the lights cut out. They dimmed a little but didn't cut out.

So far I have:
Replaced the battery
Installed gold-plated battery terminals
cleaned all my hot and ground wires
and cussed a lot.

I'm pretty sure it's the starter but wanted some other insite before I cough up $98 for a starter
lol I've been there. Do you have a buddy that works at a shop or parts store?? You can do a starter test most places do them for free

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
i can guaran-damn-tee you its that fuckin starter, Yosh. ive gone thru a few bad ones myself

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol I've been there. Do you have a buddy that works at a shop or parts store?? You can do a starter test most places do them for free
I do work for a parts store but something electrical is f'd up in our alternator and starter tester. Have an internal short or somthing in it and it blows the circuit for our main row of computers. Homeoffice is draggin ass gettin us a new one or getting ours fixed

Starter is $98 - my 20% discount. Funds be kinda tight this check

Optima Battery was $104 after my discount + a $25 mail-in rebate

Guess I'll make ready with the lube and snag a starter in the AM and see how that goes

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
do you have a voltmeter to check your voltage drop? maybe a relay that old or your starter is just worn out. best of luck

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
g/l hope you get it figured out.

btw you try tapping it with a hammer while trying to start it??
Yup, didn't help

do you have a voltmeter to check your voltage drop? maybe a relay that old or your starter is just worn out. best of luck
My multimeter crapped out. But I will give swapping relays a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts