Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Thats why you want something with an FTDI chip. Its a common driver. FTDI is used in lots of USB devices.

Also, be careful buying USB to RS-232 adapters. RS-232 is supposed to be +/- 13 volt, these adapters have something like an FTDI plus a MAX-232 chip converting TTL voltage up to RS-232 voltage.

I would just buy something like this for a couple bucks and wire that shit up.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,098 Posts
Thats why you want something with an FTDI chip. Its a common driver. FTDI is used in lots of USB devices.

Also, be careful buying USB to RS-232 adapters. RS-232 is supposed to be +/- 13 volt, these adapters have something like an FTDI plus a MAX-232 chip converting TTL voltage up to RS-232 voltage.

I would just buy something like this for a couple bucks and wire that shit up.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Its like you have a magic box, and the magic box converts english to italian which you need for ordering pizza. But because some italians chefs are deaf, some magic boxes come with another magic box that makes the italian pizza order much louder (plus adds expressive hand gestures). If you use that kind of magic box with other italian chefs they will be offended by how loud the order is and will assume you think they are a stereotypical "loud italian", and out of spite they will burn your pizza by leaving it in the oven too long.

Making things even more complicated, many of the magic boxes on the market dont understand english, they only understand chinese and due to the nuances of latin based languages, the chinese does not translate to italian very well. So sometimes your pizza gets all fucked up unless because you, the english speaking pizza orderer, dont know chinese or because it improperly translates the word "pizza" into "burning cheese ellipse".

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
LOL!

xile6, if you work backwards you'll find the dku-5 is just a ttl-usb converter - same as the USB-TTL FTDI converter FT posted, just with some extra wires. However most dku-5 cables are overpriced pl2303 chips that have virtually no support for Windows 7 & higher. Even the china copies of the FTDI, which any country can get for a few $USD, are better.

To reference the layman's explanation above, the common dku-5 is 1-serving cardboard pizza while the FTDI is a super-extra large DiGiorno. For the same price.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have another problem now...after install all drivers when i connect the cable i got a blue screen error

1 - 12 of 12 Posts