Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. The dry ones cost 200 bucks, the wet ones, called MID cost a bit more. How are the dry sleeves? From what I understand, the dry ones require the original sleeve to be present and overbored whereas the MID sleeves require removal of the whole/half sleeve depending on the installer.

Anyone boosting with the dry ones? What results? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they're a replacement sleeve. Anyone boosting on those? Not trying to be cheap but I've never seen anyone rocking those. It's either unsleeved, block-guard or 1000$ sleeves. You'd think anyone who wanted a stock bore without having to worry about clearances could just put these in and use the stock 75mm bore with whatever pistons they want instead of overboring and reducing sleeve material.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
same material iirc.... the wet sleeves as you should have notice have the flange up top to make it practically a closed deck(take the sleeve walk away)... there is someone on here using dry sleeves, and i have considered getting dry sleeves, becasue i consider it a fresh start for cheap=)

hope this makes sense

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
In my amateur speculative opinion I can see them being very cost effective and practical for street use in a vitara turbo build. A healthy median between stock sleeves and a full resleeve. Performance per $ I see them beating a full resleeve in a street designed and driven build.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
you figure 200 for the sleeves plus another 2-400 for install.. then your just a tick over what the mid sleeves will cost.. the mid sleeves cost like 600 or more to install because you have to make sure all the sleeves are in there right...

also take a look into benson sleeves

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Well, $200 + cost of them installed = how much?
vs. How much a sleeved block costs?

But why go through all the trouble if your not going to be pushing big power?
Reliability. Over time the heat and expansion of stock sleeves can cause them to be weak. Fresh new sleeves will bring back the same reliability the block had 15 or so years ago.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, $200 + cost of them installed = how much?
vs. How much a sleeved block costs?

But why go through all the trouble if your not going to be pushing big power?
Assume you want to push big power for relatively cheap. As in you don't have 1000-odd dollars for the sleeving but want to spend around 500-600 without using shit like block-guards or block posts.

Even if the sleeving cost is the same, you're basically cutting around 200-300 from your budget which can be used for something else.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you figure 200 for the sleeves plus another 2-400 for install.. then your just a tick over what the mid sleeves will cost.. the mid sleeves cost like 600 or more to install because you have to make sure all the sleeves are in there right...

also take a look into benson sleeves
Benson uses custom sleeves manufactured as per his specs by Darton. If he can do sleeving with these sleeves, why the hell not. Like I said, you're saving 200-300 on the price of the sleeves alone, and that's assuming the cost of the sleeving is the same.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have seen a cracked block Im sure may of us have I don't think you can just press the stock sleeves out they are not smooth looks like honda cast the block around them. So I would think you would have to cut them out. I don't think you will find many machine shops that like to do dry sleeves. I used to work at a machine shop we would only do wet sleeves in big truck due to they slide out some what. That's about it no press fit sleeves to much risk if you are to tight or to loose on the interference press work. Plus you have to press them all in at the same time. One at a time and you can split the next cylinder over.

I have never used them so I have no useful info on your true question.
If your going to sleeve go big mean wet sleeves or just leave it stock in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Darton Sleeves Parts List - IMPORT

cant you just call them and ask about it.
I know the part number, thanks.

Just curious to get some opinions from people who have run these. There has to be a reason why people don't go with these, or I've just found a great solution for people who don't want to go baller and spend a grand on full sleeves.

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts