Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so my white crx was sitting at my dad's house since last summer. parked it while i got money and built the new 1.6L. Motor was ready and I was going to drive it to school. start it up and start to walk away but realize something doesnt sound right.. run back and shut it off. pop hood and start checking things..

apparently i had used water in the radiator during the summer and forgot about it. recently it was ass cold up here in northern cali. it was like 19f degrees or somethin. and the waterpump was the weakest point.
:thumbsdown: for no freeze plugs.

the noise i heard was the timing belt being loose and rubbing against the side of the timing cover..i dont think it jumped any teeth or did any internal damage to the old motor.

sucks that the pump split because the bearing is in really good condition still. the bf wants me to tig weld the pump back together because "that would be cool"

anyway.. my lesson is that it doesnt save to be cheap all the time :)

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
holy shit! i've never seen a water pump do that before.

I wouldn't bother welding it back together, they're cheap anyways like $35 from the dealer.

Hope it works out for ya!

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
well that sucks. time for a new water pump. by all means disregard what your boyfriend said about tig welding that thing back together. hopefully there is no other damage. Our norcal weather lately has been damn cold.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
psh. why not tig it back together?!? it would be as good as new if not better :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
heya stranger...didnt know you were still around...well yea...weld that beeyatch back together wit your metal fab skills!!!

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope the rest of the internals are ok.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:) no worries.. the motor this is off of has already been pulled from the rex.. don't know what im going to do with it atm.
i just think its cool how much damage a little cold water can do!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
guess you've never tiggered cheap cast Alum.

As it was explained to me, cheap Honda casting tend to VAPORIZE when trying to weld too. It takes a NAVY/NUCLEAR welder to do it, not worth their time.

Although them bastards will weld your 12 pack of beer together if you don't watch them!

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Although them bastards will weld your 12 pack of beer together if you don't watch them!
lmao. i know i would if i could w/all the spouts facing inwards the center of the 6pack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts